An Old School Catholic Message Board

What a Layman Learned Wearing a Cassock

Amppax

I found this article pretty interesting. A (presumably secular) journalist did a piece about walking around for a day dressed in a cassock. Probably sacrilegious, but there's definitely some interesting points in this article. http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/a36947/how-uniform-style-affects-daily-life/

Anyway, just wanted to throw it out, thought y'all would find this interesting. The part about the cassock is towards the beginning, I didn't read all of it myself. 

Haven't read the article yet, but I was pretty pleased to see a random priest get on the subway today wearing a collar.  People didn't say anything, but you can tell they noticed.

AccountDeleted

I read the whole article and was fascinated by his observations, not only of his experiences wearing the priest 'uniform' (as he called it) but also the three other uniforms. Thanks for sharing that.

Laudate_Dominum

Interesting. Neo in the Matrix had a sweet outfit at one point. I would rock it. Or maybe a Nehru jacket.

That is fascinating, and so respectfully written. (I read only the priest part.) This article makes me think that bringing back the cassock (and the habits) would go quite some way toward restoring religion to the public sphere. Which we so desperately need. Those outfits give people hope.

I too read his experiences in all four outfits and it was surprising and interesting.  To be honest I thought because of the scandal we have had to deal with in the Church that he might have had more bad reactions instead of the overwhelmingly positive ones.