An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reactions to habits

vee

There is a thread in open mic about an article in Esquire where a man, as a social experiment ,wore four different uniforms out and about in Chicago to see how people would react.  One of them that he wore was a priest's cassock.  This article gives a summery and links through to his full experience. article

I dont recall  this having been discussed here before so apologies if it has.  Im just curious for those who have been, or who currently are in religious life and wore/wear a habit what have people's reactions to you been like?  Is it mainly positive or negative or...?

sr.christinaosf

Very shortly after entering novitiate (and receiving a white veil), we were attending a congress in Fargo and this random lady comes up to me (a niave little novice) and asks me what happens to the aborted babies (e.g., do their souls go to heaven, or what).  

Try explaining the church's position on this in a hall of crowded people to a total stranger - or on second thought, hope it never happens to you ;)  

AccountDeleted

There is a thread in open mic about an article in Esquire where a man, as a social experiment ,wore four different uniforms out and about in Chicago to see how people would react.  One of them that he wore was a priest's cassock.  This article gives a summery and links through to his full experience. article

I dont recall  this having been discussed here before so apologies if it has.  Im just curious for those who have been, or who currently are in religious life and wore/wear a habit what have people's reactions to you been like?  Is it mainly positive or negative or...?

One thing for sure, you can't be invisible in a habit. I was very aware that I was the object of attention and it made me a feel a little self-conscious, but that might also have been because I was in an enclosed community and we didn't leave the convent usually and we also wore the full, traditional Carmelite habit. 

In that article, the author talks about how when he was wearing some uniforms, he went almost completely unnoticed by other people, whereas when he wore the priest or the doctor ones, he was an object of attention, albeit each brought different responses. 

DominicanHeart

It definitely goes both ways for Priests and Sisters. You can't expect to not get some attention. I remember when our group was going to Rome the day after Easter and we got to security at the airport, as soon as the officer saw the Priest who was leading our group, she said Happy Easter to all of us. Whether she was Catholic or not, it was kind of her to do that 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I always get attention! Don't always want it but it's always been good! If I'm in the airport people come up to talk or wave across the room and say HI, SISTER!

Sometimes I do really wish to be left alone but when I made my profession I gave up my "private" life and belong to the Church in a special way! So, people DO have a right to talk to me!

My mother brother (my uncle) is ordinate priest for nearly 4 years now.And i know him whole my life and i see great difference before he enter the seminary and now when he is wearing collar.Even people on family gathering treat him different.But sometimes you can really notice that people stare at him on the street.Sadly it is not so often to see young priest walking dawn the street.As someone say before when you wearing religious rabbit you are not invisible for sure

Sister Andrew

I've gotten many different reactions while wearing the habit. One that stands out for me (and makes me smile) happened when I was on a plane and after we landed a little girl in the row in front of me stood up in her chair and looked back at me loudly proclaiming "look, Jesus' Momma!" (My habit is blue and white with a blue veil). It made everyone around me smile but it was also a HUGE compliment! I hope and pray that I can bring people to Jesus as Mary did! 

I also second everything @Sr Mary Catharine OP said! :) 

Responses are always positive, from the "Good Morning, Sister" shouted across the street to the grandmother who brings her grandchildren to say hello because they've never seen a habit before.  The absolute best happened on a plane about to take off one summer.  I was in white, with a priest seated directly across the aisle, when a definite southern drawl behind us announced "Ain't nothin' gonna happen to this plane.  We got Mother Teresa and the Reverend on board!"    (Note that I in no way resemble the real Mother Teresa.)

@littlesister that is too funny about being on the plane!

I know from my times of being with habited Sisters you just learned to expect that on any outing it was very likely that random people would come up to the Sisters to talk with them. I could tell that the Sisters were used to it and really enjoyed talking with people.

I wore a full habit (one of the last to let it go) and then a modified habit. My departure came during the modified habit time.  Now, none of our sisters, except on missions, wear one at all, and wear  simple "lay clothes," but remember I am not in the community any longer. (Notice I said "we,"??) I'm very close the local community, and I consider my formation an integral part of me.  (This one of the benefits of living an apostolic community and maturing with them. Sisters tend to be supportive of your prayerful decision - and staying in good touch with them is not the same as in cloistered communities.) 

I have to admit that taking off the habit was a great experience for me. It felt so liberating! I realized (part of the reason I left when I did) is that I HID in community and most especially in the habit &  I wanted the full habit back!. It didn't make me holier. The only thing that could make me holier was ME. My "vows" have not changed. I still live simply (I am not sure ANY Religious in the U.S. can truly claim poverty when they have medical insurance, cars, food, education, beds, clean underwear - etc.. I am NOT saying anybody should give that up, especially the apostolic orders - otherwise how can your do work?) chastity, and instead of obedience to the Mother Superior, I am obedient to the Church and of course my local Bishop, even when I don't agree (all the way down to the Pastor of our parish).

in habit, I was approached often and yes, asked the most bizarre question, especially during the "priest crisis."  At the time, I was so "proud" ( if I can admit that) that I represented the Church and was a safe place for people to go. During that time  I was very close to a cloistered community which is where my initial thoughts about entering there came from. They were very traditional and I missed the traditional life (as we began to  change). I also ached for privacy. The community I came from was not the first to have  Sisters transfer to a contemplative community. I received a lot of support. As my discernment continued, on my own, without a psychologist with "an agenda," I realized I needed time in the world (I entered sooooo young) as a regular person before jumping back into religious life, I was a little worried I would look back on that with regret, the Mother Prioress agreed! 

I did not expect to feel that sense of liberation & freedom. That was a shock. All my preconceived ideas of what religious life was came crushing down around me. As the month passed, and I continued my parish work (and true - i will never stop being grateful for my formation, my education, my Masters - all of it), I focused on what St. Francis said about "preach the Gospel at all times  - if necessary use words."  THAT's hard. The little benefits of the doubt that Habited Sisters (or even just Sisters) receive are gone ( as well as the litany from strangers about all the pain "we" caused.)  Being recognized as a person of faith (and hopefully goodness) comes only because of what people see OF YOU. 

I know now, in my wisdom through life experience, my introversion was deeply helped by the habit. The Monastery was another means of living an introverted life with the added benefit of the Consecration of Virgins (that Monastery retained that and yes I am changing some of words - Monastery & Mother Prioress for privacy) and Solemn Vows. When my habit came off, I realized how much work I had to do on myself. I began to reread  the Gospels and different commentaries. I wanted to follow Jesus Christ, to whom  my heart belongs. He didn't wear special clothes. And yet, He changed the world! I felt THAT call. 

I still find myself looking at that Monastery (still in full,  beautiful habits) and the door is open (though for others it wouldn't be at my age since I'm older than the desired age, which does in fact bother me) but through this process of serving the Church as a person, I have been forced to deal with my faith in a totally different manner. NOT wearing the habit brings it's own set of challenges. 

As a Spiritual Director, with a focus on Vocations, I am very interested in this forum as so many feel at ease to share openly. What I often see here, as I do with my clients (don't forget - oh how guilty of this I was!) there is a thinking that the habit somehow "makes" the Relgious. Yes, it can certainly help because it does indeed separate you from the world and it  does In fact serve as a perfect reminder of who we are called to be, but you can't get away that the work starts from within. 

I am often saddened when I read of communities (cloistered or not) being dismissed because of the lack of the habit. I have met some horribly mean habited  Nuns and Sisters. It does NOT make one an "instant"  Sister of Nun. Enjoy the romantic beauty of the habits and the traditions they represent, but be willing to dig deep into your soul as you discern what you really want to do with your one beautiful life. And what is God asking of you? Do you have the courage to be open?

Rose

i had overwhelmingly positive reactions from people when I was in a community wearing a habit.  Many similar reactions came from elderly who became emotional when seeing me and my novitiate sisters...

I was kindergarten aide and one little girl asked me if I was really Jesus' Mother!!!  That was probably the best reaction...  

the strangest response was when I was in the airport and the TSA agent looking through the folds of my habit kept asking me to tell her her future!  :twitch:

the strangest response was when I was in the airport and the TSA agent looking through the folds of my habit kept asking me to tell her her future!  :twitch:

:lol3: