An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Diocese is kind of discouraging.

DominicanHeart

DominicanHeart

While looking at the Vocations website for my Diocese to find resources for women discerning, all I can find is stuff for men. All the events and talks and groups are for men. It doesn't really emphasize vocations to Religious Life for women. I'm not sure why that is. And I know there really aren't any women at my Parish besides me who are discerning. Its kind of frustrating. I wish there was something I could do to fix this. Should I email the Vocations Director for my Diocese and ask him about it?

Are you near a university? Many Newman centers have discernment groups, maybe you could tag along with them? I'm sorry you're feeling lonely - I'm glad you found Phatmass and that this can provide a sense of community of you.  Social media has also helped, I love following Imagine Sisters and the like on Facebook.  

You've got nothing to lose contacting the VD for your diocese - I imagine he works primarily with seminarians but he might know of some religious or discerning women to connect you with. 

Spem in alium

Yes, I would email the VD. You could possibly also go broader and consider looking at what your archdiocese offers. My former diocese is similar in that it offers very little for women in terms of vocations, so I looked at what the archdiocese had to offer...and that's what led me to my Sisters.

sr.christinaosf

The thing is: priesthood is kind of "sponsored" by the diocese - there are diocesan priests, whereas, the majority of religious communities are not affiliated directly with the diocese.  

You can check out other diocesan pages, rather than just yours since religious communities are often more widespread than just a single diocese.  

Furthermore I'd really recommend the CMSWR's listing of member communities.  This was very instrumental in my own search.

hey dominican i had a similar situation, when i started discerning a religious life in general i didn't know where to turn so i started with my diocese website, it had nothing to say about religious men orders at all, just the priesthood. So i mean yeah Dioceses' are geared to the priesthood in general, but it would be nice if someone was like ohhhh wait a minute we are all apart of the same church lets make a small page on our website explaining that people have choices, here are a few choices, and as a diocese we mainly emphasis a vocation for men to the priesthood for our diocese, but for further information please check out the following hyperlink.

but that would make too much sense and would cause someone to actually have to work, so it can't happen. and then the excuse of there isn't enough money to pay someone to sit down and work at the computer... anyhow,

sorry bit of a rant.