An Old School Catholic Message Board

The brother and spiritual fatherhood

bardegaulois

I recall St John Paul once stating that all men have a vocation to become fathers in one way or another. How would a brother, whose vocation, as the very name implies, downplays the paternal in favour of the fraternal, see this statement and live a life of paternity?

That's a great question. I think that sisters' concept of "spiritual motherhood" can be of help here. They view "spiritual motherhood" as being lived out by the spiritual comfort and advice and example they give to others. I see no reason why brothers couldn't do the same.

Gabriela nailed it.  I think that the spiritual motherhood analogy is indeed quite helpful here.  I have always thought of it like this.  A religious brother has a vocation to belong wholly to God through his vows and is called to live a life of union with Him in service of the Church (according to the particular charism/rule of life of his particular community, of course).  As he lives out his life of consecration to God, God can bless this union and make it exceedingly fruitful.  

A marriage must be free, total, faithful, and fruitful.  A consecrated man's union with God can be all of these things, whether or not they become a priest (very much like religious sisters, consecrated virgins, hermits, etc).  In a union being made fruitful by God, a brother may have a great many spiritual children.  Often it will be the souls he directs and functions as a spiritual father to, or maybe his spiritual children will be some who return to God through the love, help, prayer, encouragement, and support of this brother, etc.  

A brothers vocation is not to be a father in the exact same way as a priest, but I definitely believe their union with God begets children in the kingdom. This union is fruitful and creates new life...making them, in some sense, fathers. 

Also, I think it could be helpful to look at Our Lady who took on many different roles within her one person.  Daughter of the Father.  Mother of the Son.  Spouse of the Holy Spirit.  Different relations and ways of interacting with each Person of the Trinity.  And for us, we can look to Our Blessed Mother as truly our Mother because she is Mother of Jesus whom we have been baptized into.  The life that we live is the life of the Son which is given to us so that we can enter into communion with the Father.  So when Jesus gave her away on the Cross it was to become mother of all who would become "sons in the Son", to live the life of the Beloved Son.  She is truly our Mother.  

But--and I hope this doesn't weird you out to say because it isn't commonly spoken of-- it is also true to say that Our Lady is not just our mother, but also our sister (of course in a different sense).  Because she is like us.  She is a daughter of the Father.  She is the perfect model of what it means to be a child of God.  She has entered fully into the life of the Son.  So in Mary, we can see the vocations of sister, spouse, and mother.  

I think the same thing can be true in a religious brother.  He is a consecrated child of God.  He lives a vocation where maybe he doesn't exercise his paternity in relation to his brothers in community...He may never be the "head of the household" so to speak.  He remains at the level most common to all members of his community...one consecrated to Jesus.  But that doesn't exclude the possibility of exercising a spiritual paternity over others, even if in a different manner.  

Okay, now I think I am done.  Hahaha   :)  

Thank you both for your replies. I've long wondered how we should take the call to spiritual paternity as it applies to religious brothers, deacons, unmarried laymen--in short, any of those states of life in which men can exist other than those who are often called fathers (priests and married laymen). Those former are not necessarily persons in authority, and consequently often won't be seen as necessarily authoritative, unless nature, grace, or effort give them a natural authoritativeness in some field or another. Or perhaps I am diminishing paternity by seeing authority as one of its chief attributes? Do correct me if you think I am wrong...