An Old School Catholic Message Board

the catholic church opposed street lights?

dairygirl4u2c

iPads and and smartphones have done their fair share of damage, case in point the stupid meme which caused this thread. 

The Pope should ban teh interwebz.  I'm seeing way too much of people posting moronic internet "memes" on the debate table, as if they were real arguments worthy of debate and discussion.

Pair a nonsensical caption with a photo or other illustration, post it on the web, and some idiots will treat it as authoritative truth.

Steets lights are evil!

BURN THEM!

The Pope should ban teh interwebz.  I'm seeing way too much of people posting moronic internet "memes" on the debate table, as if they were real arguments worthy of debate and discussion.

Pair a nonsensical caption with a photo or other illustration, post it on the web, and some idiots will treat it as authoritative truth.

I've NEVER done that often.  

• 1 year later...

It actually makes a lot of sense. Before streetlights, husbands, wives and children came home at night, ate dinner, spent time together and went to bed. With the advent of lit streets, men could hang out at bars, prostitutes could solicit more business and children could stay out longer. Nightclubs, bars, strip clubs and the like would never have existed had streetlights not been invented. 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2015 at 8:08 AM, dairygirl4u2c said:

10696208_946137738794045_451032184768805

does anyone know if lights were officially taught as immoral? or was it just a ban with no further elaboration?

That was before Vatican 2. 

Vatican 2 changed all that....:)

On 30/7/2017 at 7:56 AM, Norseman82 said:

That was before Vatican 2. 

Vatican 2 changed all that....:)

Not if the Council is interpreted in "light" of tradition. *pun intended ) :)