An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope to issue decrees on marriage annulment tomorrow

dUSt

Pope Francis is to announce a reformed annulment procedure tomorrow.

The Pope is to issue two new decrees known as motu proprios at a press conference in Rome mid-day tomorrow.

According to the National Catholic Reporter their Latin titles, Mitis Iudex Dominus Iesus and Mitis et misericors Iesus, “suggest the reforms put a special focus on Jesus’ qualities of being merciful and meek”.

Read the entire article here:

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2015/09/07/pope-to-issue-decrees-on-marriage-annulment-tomorrow/

Thoughts?

I almost think the pope is working off a "Top ten reasons people leave the church" list, and confronting them head on one at a time. lol

We will have to wait and see what the new procedure is I guess. Sounds like it is going to be more streamlined - so that the decision can get made faster. That would be cool I think as long as the procedure still ultimately leads to the correct decision.

My question is this - is the declaration of nullity considered infalliable?  What if someone was truly married but got an anullment because of an incorrect decision by the panel that decided whether the marraige was valid?  Does the person who remarries in this situation continue to sin?

I would think that it is a sin but a venial sin due to a lack of knowledge.

What if the marriage was truly null but the panel that decides the issue incorrectly decides that the marriage was valid? If the person gets remarried and continues to go to church and receive communion - does he sin?

Edited by Peace

As far as I know, annulments are never infallible. They work off the best information given. It's why they can be appealed. 

Annulments are not based on "technicalities", right? In other words, a marriage is not deemed never to have existed because items A, B and C were not checked off correctly. Isn't it based more on the state of mind or the intent of the two parties that were married? So--if this is the case, wouldn't the best people to actually know whether or not they were truly married be the couple themselves?

I guess what I am getting at is, will the annulment process be more of an examination of conscience? Similar to how one must truly be sorry and repentant in order to be absolved of their mortal sins, could annulments be more based on an extensive examination of conscience for the couple involved--and, like mortal sins being absolved, the Church will place the culpability on the couple themselves?

Or maybe it is more "technical" and legalistic than I'm making it to be.

Your marriage in the eyes of the church is annulled, your marriage in the eyes of the state remains until you divorce.  You can never say that a marriage never happened, it did, but in the eyes of the church, you're clean.  I went through 2 annulments for friends and it's a process!  

Your marriage in the eyes of the church is annulled, your marriage in the eyes of the state remains until you divorce.  You can never say that a marriage never happened, it did, but in the eyes of the church, you're clean.  I went through 2 annulments for friends and it's a process!  

most marriage tribunals will not even look at your case until you're civilly divorced. 

Annulments are not based on "technicalities", right? In other words, a marriage is not deemed never to have existed because items A, B and C were not checked off correctly. Isn't it based more on the state of mind or the intent of the two parties that were married? So--if this is the case, wouldn't the best people to actually know whether or not they were truly married be the couple themselves?

I guess what I am getting at is, will the annulment process be more of an examination of conscience? Similar to how one must truly be sorry and repentant in order to be absolved of their mortal sins, could annulments be more based on an extensive examination of conscience for the couple involved--and, like mortal sins being absolved, the Church will place the culpability on the couple themselves?

Or maybe it is more "technical" and legalistic than I'm making it to be.

Depends what you call a technicality. Some people would call canonical form a mere technicality, but as is if either of the parties concerned is a Catholic, and the wedding does not follow canonical form, it is invalid. Or if, for instance, the man had killed the wife's previous husband. Also invalid. :|

Ash Wednesday

Reforming the annulment process makes a lot more sense than the "communion for divorced and remarried" proposal that Cardinal Kasper was floating around. I couldn't get my head around how that would even be an option.

Mind you, I can't get my head around a lot of things in my daily existence anyway, but you know what I mean.

Speaking with a friend : 

"The Pope is to issue a Motu proprio on..."
*interrupting me* "why do we need a motu proprio, the EF is well-accepted and [insert 5 minuts rants here]" 

it's why you should let people finish their sentences. 

Basilisa Marie

Next week I'm heading up to the chancery in my diocese for part one of tribunal advocacy training. I wonder how muh they're going to have to overhaul their curriculum. :hehe2:

The annulment processes as it stands now is pretty brutal. Even if they just made it universally free, that'd be a big step in the right direction. 

It is had to comment - if t is a change in the process: no big deal I would think, but if it is a change in the substance, and decisions to be taken or rules... then we will need to see.  

Bit I trust our Pope; may his endaver be blessed.