An Old School Catholic Message Board

I really do not want to go to work

Selah

Not The Philosopher

I really do not want to read the Silmarillion for school!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!

You have a school where the Silmarillion is actually required reading? Lucky.

Ancilla Domini

You have a school where the Silmarillion is actually required reading? Lucky.

I'm homeschooled, and it's a co-op.

I disagree. LOTR and the Hobbit may be good stories, (I personally fell asleep while reading the Hobbit AND Fellowship of the Rings and couldn't finish either; but that aside, they may be good stories) but they're frankly overrated. And I don't understand how on earth the Silmarillion is an important or necessary book to read. It appears to me to be completely pointless. We're supposed to be doing myths, and instead of studying Nordic myths, which real people actually believed in, we're learning about the pre-history of some made up country with made up characters, written in the style of Nordic myths? How is this not pointless?

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Not The Philosopher

I disagree. LOTR and the Hobbit may be good stories, (I personally fell asleep while reading the Hobbit AND Fellowship of the Rings and couldn't finish either; but that aside, they may be good stories) but they're frankly overrated. And I don't understand how on earth the Silmarillion is an important or necessary book to read. It appears to me to be completely pointless. We're supposed to be doing myths, and instead of studying Nordic myths, which real people actually believed in, we're learning about the pre-history of some made up country with made up characters, written in the style of Nordic myths? How is this not pointless?

If you're reading Tolkien when you're supposed to be reading actual myths, then yeah, I'll agree.

But otherwise I regard Tolkien as one of the best English storytellers of the 20th century.

If you're reading Tolkien when you're supposed to be reading actual myths, then yeah, I'll agree.

But otherwise I regard Tolkien as one of the best English storytellers of the 20th century.