An Old School Catholic Message Board

how do you reconcile these verses concerning submission to man's rule?

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

the verses are especially good to think about with the kim davis gay marriage debate. 

Acts 5 : 27The apostles were brought in and made to appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. 28“We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name,” he said. “Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man’s blood.” 29Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!

Romans 13 : 1Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

I think there's a difference between evangelization and prostelization by force.  God time and time again shows that He does not force

the verses are especially good to think about with the kim davis gay marriage debate. 

Acts 5 : 27The apostles were brought in and made to appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. 28“We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name,” he said. “Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man’s blood.” 29Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!

Romans 13 : 1Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

Context.

Give to Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar and give to God what belongs to God.  

I would think the 'rulers' would need to show first off that they are in accordance with the law of God rather than the people blindly assume they are so simply by the fact that they are in such a place of authority.  

If anything the passage you list seems to assume the rulers are in such accordance. However rulers are not as such always. Hear of King David? O.T.?

Even Peter as leader of the apostles had his moments of weakness.  

I don't think the stand alone quote you listed tells in itself a whole picture.  

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I was told by a priest recently that the holy bible is infallible in matters of faith and morals. Is that even a statement that has come from the universal magesterium. And even than that opens me up to thinking that the holy bible is not absolutely infallible just in faith and morals. Do these passages you have posted lay under the category of faith and morals. Good faith would dictate to follow Gods will over mans right including your own? Idk. I find holy scripture thoroughly confusing at times and seemingly contradictory, and enough of this CONTEXT poof, please explain what you mean by context, people are saying context now like everyone should know what that means, please explain what you all mean by context. 

I was told by a priest recently that the holy bible is infallible in matters of faith and morals. Is that even a statement that has come from the universal magesterium. And even than that opens me up to thinking that the holy bible is not absolutely infallible just in faith and morals. Do these passages you have posted lay under the category of faith and morals. Good faith would dictate to follow Gods will over mans right including your own? Idk. I find holy scripture thoroughly confusing at times and seemingly contradictory, and enough of this CONTEXT poof, please explain what you mean by context, people are saying context now like everyone should know what that means, please explain what you all mean by context. 

The Catholic church has its teaching authority and understanding of reading and interpreting the Bible. Protestants read the Bible in as many ways as there are Protestants -  which has led to much confusion, error and fundamentalism.

In Dei Verbum, the Second Vatican Council taught that the task of authentically interpreting the Word of God has been entrusted to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church. Likewise, Guadium et spes speaks of how the Gospel of Christ renews the modern world and advances culture, perfecting them in Christ. Maybe give them a read if you haven't already.

Understanding what God is trying to say to us through Sacred Scripture is much easier and more fruitful when we have the Church as our guide. For example, in commentaries, such as the Didache Bible,  you can read what the Catechism has to say about a particular verse or selection of verses. This will also assist in better understanding the historical context of different parts of the Bible, the meanings of biblical terms and concepts, and the relationship between the different books of the Bible. Commentaries also help the reader to see how the Bible is a unified whole and how the Old Testament is fulfilled in the New.

Edited by Benedictus

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Sweet as. I will check out Dei Verbum. 

Authentic:

• Of undisputed origin; genuine
    • - the letter is now accepted as an authentic document
    • authentic 14th-century furniture
  • Made or done in the traditional or original way, or in a way that faithfully resembles an original
    • - the restaurant serves authentic Italian meals
    • - every detail of the movie was totally authentic
  • Based on facts; accurate or reliable
    • - an authentic depiction of the situation
  • (in existentialist philosophy) Relating to or denoting an emotionally appropriate, significant, purposive, and responsible mode of human life

• (of a church mode) Comprising the notes lying between the principal note or final and the note an octave higher

The authentic interpretation but perhaps not the only interpretation. The catechism teaches there are four ways to interpret holy scripture but never claims there is only one interpretation of scripture for the truth is a double edged sword and when it cuts opens up a multi faceted wound or in other word various meanings. Murder on the dance floor. Which meaning of authentic does the document you a presenting pertain to be using?

Of course this doesn't mean i disagree with holy mother churches interpretation of holy scripture particularly when she so chooses to through the universal magesterium or ex cathedra, but than again of course i have the utmost respect for all her documents and interpretation of holy scripture even through the ordinary magesterium including your interpretation if you have one.

How is it that dairygirl is labled phishy if she isn't catholic and doesn't have to agree with what the church officially teaches as being infallible?

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

How is it that dairygirl is labled phishy if she isn't catholic and doesn't have to agree with what the church officially teaches as being infallible?

Because she frequently claims to understand Catholic doctrine, then proceeds to misrepresent and mangle it.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

okely dokely doo. I dont think it's so easy to interpret church documents without a catholic dictionary and encyclopedia.

Hey dairygirl do you have a catholic dictionary and catholic encyclopedia?

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye