An Old School Catholic Message Board

Book for to share with my Protestant parents

katherineH

Hello friends,

I joined the Catholic Church a couple of years ago and my parents have a fairly strong anti-Catholic sentiment.  I want to share a book with them on the topic because I think they would be more open to reading something by a scholar than myself.  I have found that a lot of apologetic books tend to have a defensive and combative tone towards Protestants.  I am looking for a book that presents the Catholic faith in depth but that doesn't fall into anti-Protestant rhetoric.  My dad is a pastor so it's going to have to be something a little denser and complex than your typical Scott Hahn and Catholic Answers stuff (nothing against them, they're just fairly general).  Thanks!!

I'm Orthodox not Catholic, so wasn't going to comment, but from what you've said I would highly recommend Robert Louis Wilken's The Spirit of Early Christian Thought. It's beautifully, even lyrically written and is certainly not your typical apologetical stuff. If I remember correctly, Wilken was a Lutheran Church historian who converted to Catholicism - he was one of those Protestants who discovered historic Christianity, like his friend Jaroslav Pelikan who became Orthodox shortly before his death. Anyway, the book isn't a defense of modern Catholicism, but an intellectually rigorous but accessible - and beautifully written - introduction to historic Christian faith. FWIW...