An Old School Catholic Message Board

Society of Jesus Welcomes 45 New Novices

Thijs

:clapping::coffee:

I'm sorry, are you being sarcastic? I must be reading those emojis wrong because being rude and dismissive doesn't sound like you. If you are... If I posted something bad or wrong, just let me know. I'm open to changing my mind and taking it back. (Actually I want to do that if I really did post in error.) Where are we having a miscommunication? Do you think I'm talking about you and the Jesuits? I'm not, I think you made a fine decision to join. Do you think people should join unhealthy communities if they feel called? Ok, we can agree to disagree, and I'd be interested to hear why. I'm under the impression it's ok to get OT to explain something to the letter. Learning to distinguish between healthy communities and unhealthy communities, and not falling into the "God is calling me so I should join against my better judgement and everyone else's advice" mentality, is one of those issues that should be explained to the letter. That's all. It really has nothing to do with the Jesuits in particular. 

Edited by veritasluxmea

I'm sorry, are you being sarcastic? I must be reading those emojis wrong because being rude and dismissive doesn't sound like you. If you are... If I posted something bad or wrong, just let me know. I'm open to changing my mind and taking it back. (Actually I want to do that if I really did post in error.) Where are we having a miscommunication? Do you think I'm talking about you and the Jesuits? I'm not, I think you made a fine decision to join. Do you think people should join unhealthy communities if they feel called? Ok, we can agree to disagree, and I'd be interested to hear why. I'm under the impression it's ok to get OT to explain something to the letter. Learning to distinguish between healthy communities and unhealthy communities, and not falling into the "God is calling me so I should join against my better judgement and everyone else's advice" mentality, is one of those issues that should be explained to the letter. That's all. It really has nothing to do with the Jesuits in particular. 

No, If I didn't agree with you and it concerned me enough I'd say so. My first post wasn't intended to be about unhealthy communities, but about attitude and resilience. A single post won't ever address every possible concern or angle for every subsequent poster or reader. I only posted afterwards because you used my post to make your first reply. I can see how you connected the dots to make the additional points you did but, as I said, that wasn't my point. I guess that's where the miscommunication would be. Your issue wasn't my beef :smokey:

No, If I didn't agree with you and it concerned me enough I'd say so. My first post wasn't intended to be about unhealthy communities, but about attitude and resilience. A single post won't ever address every possible concern or angle for every subsequent poster or reader. I only posted afterwards because you used my post to make your first reply. I can see how you connected the dots to make the additional points you did but, as I said, that wasn't my point. I guess that's where the miscommunication would be. Your issue wasn't my beef :smokey:

Oh now I see, thanks for humoring me and explaining it out. That makes sense! 

I understand but as you are in formation you have to conform what your formators would like you to do and what the community practices/doing. I admire St Ignatius, St Francis Xavier and it pains me that I have to do those things. Before I do really wanted to jump for it, persevere maybe like what St Theresa of Avila did as long as it has at least a solid and faithful orthodox spiritual director but oh no, he is an expert in parapsychology and discusses ghosts and this kind of stuffs a lot. Sad to say from that time I'm done with it.

I hope you've been able to move on with peace to other things. Yep, formation community can be tough. The challenges vary for each individual -  I find I have to find more energy than I expected and I get very tired - it's a very packed timetable with lots to do. It can be daunting, but the other novices help. We're sort of in our own community bubble until after first vows, which has its benefits. The thing about Jesuits is their diversity and, some would say, eccentricities. They have work, hobbies and apostolates in all sorts of areas. The good thing is they work on the frontiers and this comes with some element of risk, including bad apples, but also many blessed souls and great religious. My SD has experience as a retreat leader and teacher, both aspects have been helpful.

I congratulate you for being second year on your formation. Jesuits needs men like you. Look for Pope Francis as your inspiration and I admire our Pope for what he is doing. He has done and been doing tremendous and superb job. A lot of my friends are going back to Church and has been into confession, some are asking if we can talk about Catholicism, etc.

Thanks -  I take each day at a time, giving thanks to God for everything. I'm often out of my comfort zone, but it's all good. Pope Francis is a typical Jesuit in many respects. I have a close love for the last two Popes though.

If ever you may be into the governance of your universities, I pray that with the likes of you could save Georgetown

:amen::smile4: