An Old School Catholic Message Board

no more props ! <3 just emoticons

superblue

so sad, no more props, not even a lil button to click that says agree or disagree, so just got to go back to disagreeing verbally and not giving a reason as to why.

OR

just use emoticons to express yourself

:dontlike::like2:

Take a

So how do we measure our self worth now?

Take a square of toilet paper, make sure you peel off just a single ply. Go outside. Hold the single ply square of toilet paper above your head. Let it go. If it blows back into your face, you are worth nothing. If it floats gently to the ground, you are mediocre. If it flies upwards, especially into a tree (oak or maple is better), you are very valuable.

Take a

Take a square of toilet paper, make sure you peel off just a single ply. Go outside. Hold the single ply square of toilet paper above your head. Let it go. If it blows back into your face, you are worth nothing. If it floats gently to the ground, you are mediocre. If it flies upwards, especially into a tree (oak or maple is better), you are very valuable.

would you happen to write for welcome to Nightvale? because that sounds like the best method of measuring self worth I have seen in a long time.

Oremus Pro Invicem

I think when Lil Red hit her 10k prop the system exploded.  It never expected to go that high. Like the Y2K thing but for Phatmass.

Anyway it's kind of nice to not have props, although I think I will miss them for the prayer room.  It was nice to prop a prayer request, although sometimes it felt odd when the request was, "so and so died, please pray for their soul" prop. :wacko:

Pope Francis has been preparing us for the year of mercy. Props are too judgmental.

Is it possible to switch on props for the prayer request section, even if not anywhere else?

Why would we want to keep score anyways? Its not like we're playing hockey or anything right?

As CEO of didacorp - I approve and endorse the decision (we were losing the game anyways).  

IgnatiusofLoyola

After thinking about this idea for awhile, my reaction (at least right now) is, "Sure, why not? Let's see what happens." I think that changing this up might get us to think more about why we use props. I expect that a lot of the time props were used in a neutral way to say, "I agree, and I like the way you said it," without making other people read through a bunch of short posts that say, "Yeah, I agree." But, props don't tell the poster or other people WHY we agree, so not having props could result in having conversations with more positive content. (Sometimes (often?) the people who disagree make up the majority of responses.)

Like others, I will miss having props in the Prayer Room, because they are a way to say (silently),"I read this, and I'm praying for you." On the other hand, we DO know how many people read a thread (which in the Prayer Room means the actual post), and it isn't a bad assumption to think that most people who read another poster's prayer request also pray for that person, even if only once.

Props (especially negative ones) CAN be judgmental.  But, more important than that, I think that for some people props turn into either into p*ssing contests or popularity contests. Either way, it can can be a way of saying with very un-Christian pride "See, I'm more popular than you are," or "See, more people agree with me than agree with you." I doubt God is counting props. As an alternative, we could have props without having them add up, or having titles associated with how many props we have.

In their favor, sometimes props have made me feel less alone, when even one person liked a post I made. Still, the person could have actually said they liked my post, rather than propping it. However, it takes time to make a post, even a short one, and perhaps the person didn't like my post THAT much.

Obviously, I have mixed feelings. However, I think that changing things up a bit sometimes is a good thing.

BTW--I'm very glad it was Lil Red who was the first one to 10,000 props. I've never gotten the feeling that Lil Red gave a hoot about how many props she got, didn't make posts in order to get more props (or to increase her post count), and didn't change the nature of her posts to increase her popularity. Sometimes we get posts from Lil Red that contain positive news about things that have happened in her life or say good things about others, but she also posts when she isn't in a good (or necessarily even likeable) mood. Lil Red allows her human side to show in posts, whether or not that mood fits someone else's idea of how a good and faithful Catholic should act or feel. (Note: I'm not saying that Lil Red isn't a good or faithful Catholic, only that she lets us see that a Catholic who is trying to be her best doesn't always act or feel the way that other people judge good Catholics should feel.) Also, to her great credit, Lil Red doesn't feel the need for long or repeated lectures on how she feels she or others should act or how the Saints would act and what they would say. Lil Red speaks her mind then shuts up. Incredibly refreshing--and bluntly, a much better witness for Catholicism than all the lectures about what Catholics (and non-Catholics) SHOULD be doing. (Note to Lil Red: Despite my looking for the right words, if any of this hits you the wrong way, I apologize in advance. My intent is to be positive although I'm not even sure you care about compliments from me.) And, yes, I know that I am one of the people whose posts are too long. I'm working on it, but conciseness eludes me. So, particularly lately, I often just don't comment at all, and I don't think Phatmass has suffered.

Bottom line to @dust: For what it's worth, I think taking away props is a worthwhile experiment, and if you don't like the results, well, it's something that can be changed again to something different (and based on history, probably will be)--not a bad thing either.

Unsolicited feedback for @dust on the "no longer so new" system. In theory I know how to make @dust a link, but despite knowing how it is supposed to work, it only works for me about a quarter of the time or less.  :idontknow:Maybe there is some other way making a link could be accomplished. My mood today isn't going to rise or fall on whether I can make @dust become a link--just a note while I was thinking of it. 

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Take a

I instinctively went to prop this post before realizing I could not do so.