An Old School Catholic Message Board

To prop or not to prop

dUSt

Props  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's answer this poll with these questions in mind:

Will eliminating props help foster more replies to posts?

Will eliminating props be better for us, spiritually?

Will keeping props make it more reassuring for people posting?

Will keeping props provide valuable feedback to help visitors evaluate different posters?

Basilisa Marie

I voted positive only, not because it feeds my ego (which it does) but because it's often really nice for me to tell someone I agree without interrupting the flow of conversation. 

I voted positive only, because I felt the negative props were sometimes being used in angry, self-righteous, and/or penal ways.

What I most like about the positive props is that, once someone hits 7 (or 8?), the system puts that red banner with a star on it to flag the post as "crazy dope" or whatever it is now. I like having that quick indicator that this is a post really worth reading.

I voted positive only, because I felt the negative props were sometimes being used in angry, self-righteous, and/or penal ways.

What I most like about the positive props is that, once someone hits 7 (or 8?), the system puts that red banner with a star on it to flag the post as "crazy dope" or whatever it is now. I like having that quick indicator that this is a post really worth reading.

I automatically looked for a button to prop this and was annoyed not to have it. I voted 'positive only' for these reasons (and also because they are a really nice thing to have in the Prayer Room - I like being able to say a virtual amen).

Not The Philosopher

To prop or not to prop - that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous reputation,
Or to take arms against a sea of downvotes
And, by opposing, end them.

To prop or not to prop - that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous reputation,
Or to take arms against a sea of downvotes
And, by opposing, end them.

ABANDON ALL PROPS YE WHO ENTER HERE

AccountDeleted

I don't think we need them at all. And I sometimes felt people posted similar topics over and over again in the Prayer Thread just to get more props.

I don't see any need for them because people just give props to those they agree with or like - not because the post has any particular merit - so no, just don't see any point in them.

And maybe if someone likes a post, they can reply and say so.

I automatically looked for a button to prop this and was annoyed not to have it. I voted 'positive only' for these reasons (and also because they are a really nice thing to have in the Prayer Room - I like being able to say a virtual amen).

I agree about the "virtual amen" in the Prayer thread. I used to use that as an indicator that people had acknowledged my prayer requests and were praying for me. It made me feel better. With "views", for all I know, someone accidentally just clicked into the thread and then clicked back out.

AccountDeleted

I agree about the "virtual amen" in the Prayer thread. I used to use that as an indicator that people had acknowledged my prayer requests and were praying for me. It made me feel better. With "views", for all I know, someone accidentally just clicked into the thread and then clicked back out.

Thin an Amen button (not a prop) would be a good idea. Just to acknowledge prayers.

Thin an Amen button (not a prop) would be a good idea. Just to acknowledge prayers.

Yeah, that could also work, and would be more appropriate and pretty cool for the Prayer board. But I'm not sure if it's possible to put one type of "up-clicker" in the Prayer board and another type out here.

AccountDeleted

Yeah, that could also work, and would be more appropriate and pretty cool for the Prayer board. But I'm not sure if it's possible to put one type of "up-clicker" in the Prayer board and another type out here.

No, no, you miss my point. An Amen button and that's all - no props out here. I don't think we had props when I first joined phatmass and I think that's why the atmosphere was so much nicer and less combative and competitive. It was a place to come share ideas and debate topics but it didn't feel like a factionalised place, like it does now.

I voted no props.

Those things are too addictive. Found myself waking up at 3AM like "What? Only 3 props? That post was brilliant I tell you. Brilliant." And then going to sleep depressed.

AccountDeleted

I voted no props.

Those things are too addictive. Found myself waking up at 3AM like "What? Only 3 props? That post was brilliant I tell you. Brilliant." And then going to sleep depressed.

And you have written some brilliant pieces @Peace. But if we don't have props, people can just respond by saying how much they liked what you said or how well it was said. Much more like communication than this click and run mentality of props.

In fact, while we're on the topic @dUSt, I also hate the voting system in the Catholic Questions and Answers forum. The other day everyone had been down-voted and it doesn't say who did it either. It's really hit and run! I wish you would take that away too.