An Old School Catholic Message Board

To prop or not to prop

dUSt

Props  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MarysLittleFlower

Maybe we can consider expanding the prop thing instead and have positive and negative props along with the super-positive and super-negative props. Add in an 'amen' button and a 'super-amen' button too.

We can also add a 'Winchester-approved' button?

It would be nice to have an 'endorsement' option too for those who would like to use props for propaganda and publicity. For instance - if I clicked the button a message brief would appear at the bottom of the post confirming that 'Didacorp emdorses the message above'! That would be amesome and really help in our goal to conquer the world!

such an amount of props would also probably crash the website forever ;) 

We are in complete agreement for once in our lives MLF! So NO props MUST be a good thing! :) 

:like2:indeed! :D 

IgnatiusofLoyola

My vote is that we experiment for awhile without props and see how it affects the phorum.

As others (and I) have said, props can turn into a popularity contest, or people competing about how many props they have.

If the decision is made to keep props, I'd vote that the total number of props a person has be taken off their posts. Actually, I'd like it if props didn't accumulate at all. A person might get props for a particular post, but there wouldn't be any cumulative number of props. And no "awards" for high numbers of props.

However, props in the prayer room are good.

Ancilla Domini

The option I want isn't up there:

• Yes, but only do negative props. Positive props are too positive.

Props.

I mean negative props.

My vote is that we experiment for awhile without props and see how it affects the phorum.

As others (and I) have said, props can turn into a popularity contest, or people competing about how many props they have.

If the decision is made to keep props, I'd vote that the total number of props a person has be taken off their posts. Actually, I'd like it if props didn't accumulate at all. A person might get props for a particular post, but there wouldn't be any cumulative number of props. And no "awards" for high numbers of props.

However, props in the prayer room are good.

This is a very good idea. I think that would help with the whole "popularity contest" feel that people are complaining about. 

No, no, you miss my point. An Amen button and that's all - no props out here. I don't think we had props when I first joined phatmass and I think that's why the atmosphere was so much nicer and less combative and competitive. It was a place to come share ideas and debate topics but it didn't feel like a factionalised place, like it does now.

I do get your point: YOU want no props. You're missing my point: I DO want positive props—and an "Amen" button in the Prayer Board.

i don't care any more as i can just do this :dontlike: or this :like2:  and it expresses the same thing with out me having to go into detail as to why and leaves me still open to giving a response when i feel like doing so.

Props is like abortion - if you don't like it just don't do it but don't stop others from having access to it.  

I hope you're joking, otherwise, how are you Church Militant? That's a terrible joke btw. 

Ancilla Domini

This is a very good idea. I think that would help with the whole "popularity contest" feel that people are complaining about. 

What's wrong with a little competition here and there, though? Besides, if there are people who really care enough about accumulating props to actually improve their posts in order to get them, then hey, at least we have better stuff being posted, right?

It's not that big of a deal, really. I mean, I know that I like getting them, but I don't post for the express purpose of getting them, and I don't get a sadistic thrill from other people having fewer than I do. :P I just find them kewl. (I know you're not saying that about people, I'm just exaggerating to make a point. ;))

I say keep 'em. Get rid of negative props, I think, because that's where things can get a bit nasty. But positive props are harmless.

Btw, new word, which everyone should know and use, in everyday conversation: schadenfreude. It's a German word meaning "pleasure derived from another's misfortune." Good word to have at your fingertips.

Edited by Ancilla Domini

I hope you're joking, otherwise, how are you Church Militant? That's a terrible joke btw. 

Maybe a sarcasm button would be more useful than props?

Btw, new word, which everyone should know and use, in everyday conversation: schadenfreude. It's a German word meaning "pleasure derived from another's misfortune." Good word to have at your fingertips.

I have a picture on my wall that I took of a plaque posted outside a maze of mirrors at the Hamburg Sommerfest. People could stand outside the one-way windows of the maze and watch people flounder around inside of it. It says: "Schadenfreude ist die reinste Freude." Pleasure derived from another's misfortune is the purest pleasure.

:lol4: