An Old School Catholic Message Board

New consecrated virgin affiliated to Carmelites

Cecilia

07 Aug 2015
by Jamie O'Brien

Archbishop Timothy Costelloe SDB stands with Dr Michelle Jones following her canonical Consecration to a life of prayer and service in the Carmelite tradition. PHOTO: Jamie O'Brien

Archbishop Timothy Costelloe SDB stands with Dr Michelle Jones following her canonical Consecration to a life of prayer and service in the Carmelite tradition. PHOTO: Jamie O’Brien

A call to a mission of prayer and helping others to be receptive to God’s love came to fruition for Dr Michelle Jones last month, following her canonical Consecration to a life of prayer and service in the Carmelite tradition.

The Consecration took place at the Chapel of St Therese of Lisieux, at the Catholic Pastoral Centre in Highgate, on Saturday July 18 and was celebrated by Perth Archbishop Timothy Costelloe.

Dr Jones explained that her lifelong vocation, as a ‘Consecrated Virgin Living in the World,’ according to Canon 604, will be lived in affiliation with the Carmelite Order in Quidenham, England.

“I’ve always felt very at home in the Carmelite tradition and it’s because for me the Carmelite tradition really expresses the apostolic character of the contemplative life, of the life of prayer,” Dr Jones said.

“As St Therese says, ‘my vocation is love’ – she had this profound sense that her ‘yes’ to God’s love somehow affected the very fabric of humanity.”

“I’m so very grateful to be able to align myself with the Carmelite Monastery at Quidenham – to follow their charism and to live out my Consecration in their spirit,” she said. Dr Jones came to know the nuns at Quidenham while writing her doctoral thesis on Ruth Burrows, one of the nuns of the Community.

Dr Jones will continue her role as Director at the Maranatha Centre for Adult Faith Formation (soon to be renamed the Centre for Faith Enrichment), the official adult faith education agency of the Archdiocese of Perth.

A Presenter with the Maranatha Centre since 2009, and Director since 2014, Dr Jones was previously an Associate Lecturer at the University of Notre Dame Australia.

“I’ve felt called to consecrated life since I was about 16 and that’s always been a defining feature of my life,” Dr Jones said.

“It’s been a matter of finding the fit that resonates most deeply for me – and this is it.

Dr Jones describes her Consecration – in light of her role as Director at the Maranatha Centre – as the ‘wellspring’ of all that she undertakes and seeks to do.

“I pray that this work and its fruitfulness comes from my union with Jesus,” she said.

“The Gospel reading from John 15:9, where Christ refers to himself as the vine and us as the branches, (which was proclaimed at the Consecration ceremony) gives a fundamental grounding of my identity, my vocation.”

In his homily for the occasion, Archbishop Costelloe spoke about the life of English Anglican lay woman, Evelyn Underhill who said, “If God is real, it is the most important fact of our life. Attention to God is the primary religious act. He is here, now, in this room, calling you, demanding your complete surrender in order that you may become complete. Nothing matters but that demand and your soul’s response.”

Drawing upon the words of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, when he spoke about having a personal relationship with Christ, the Archbishop emphasised that it is Jesus who calls to us inviting us to make our home in and with him.

“By the choice which Michelle has made for her life journey, and by the definitive commitment to that journey which today’s celebration crystallises, Michelle becomes for all of us a kind of living sacrament, a powerful and compelling sign, of what lies not only at the heart of her own life, but of what the Lord is inviting all of us, each in our own way and in the concrete circumstances of our own lives, to enthrone at the heart of our lives as well,” the Archbishop said.

“If Jesus really is, as our faith says he is and as he himself says he is, the Way, the Truth and the Life, then our own lives will not really make much sense, and will never be complete, unless we allow him to be our Way, and our Truth, and our Life.

“That the Lord is exactly this for Michelle is what today’s celebration affirms,” he said.

Dr Jones also spoke about her vocation in light of the Year of Consecrated Life, noting that it has given her a feeling of richness and belonging.

“It’s an expression of consecrated life that you don’t see often but it is an ancient form – it’s one of the oldest forms of consecrated life – so I feel I’m part of a rich and long tradition in the Church.

68579fd46b75aaa511cf16a59f99c63f?s=90&d=
About the Author
Jamie O'Brien is a former journalist of The Record, having worked in the role from 2004 - 2006. During that time he covered hard-line news and feature articles, including the work of the Church in the Diocese of Broome, World Youth Day 2005 (Cologne) and the work of Fr Luis Ruiz in China in March 2006. Jamie took on the role as Editor from July 2014.

:like2:

“As St Therese says, ‘my vocation is love’ – she had this profound sense that her ‘yes’ to God’s love somehow affected the very fabric of humanity.” 

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Doesn't Sr. Wendy live there as well?

Sr Wendy does live in the grounds there, but she's a hermit and it sound as though this woman is going to be a CV with a more long-distance involvement. I get the impression from the article that she knows the Quidenham community from her doctoral work on the writings of Sr Ruth, not because they're nearby.

Edited by beatitude

Sponsa-Christi

Sr Wendy does live in the grounds there, but she's a hermit and it sound as though this woman is going to be a CV with a more long-distance involvement. I get the impression from the article that she knows the Quidenham community from her doctoral work on the writings of Sr Ruth, not because they're nearby.

I think Sr. Wendy is technically a CV who lives as a hermit. I read an article on her life once, (I don't know where I found it, though) and she was originally an active Sister who felt called to be a hermit. But I guess her superiors and her bishop at the time where more familiar with CVs than with diocesan hermits, so they guided her into receiving the consecration of virgins.

Anyway...congratulations to the new CV in this article! 

Sister Leticia

Yes, Wendy Beckett was originally a Notre Dame sister - this Wikipedia article is quite accurate about her life and current canonical status. During the 1990s she was a lot less hermit-like because of all the TV work, interviews and so on she did. She used to come to London a lot, and I sometimes saw her at Mass in central London, and talked with her once or twice after we left the church. But she hasn't been on TV for a long time, she mainly writes articles now. 

Looking at her biography, I see she's 85, which makes me wonder - @Sponsa-Christi - does the bishop or diocese have any responsibility to help care for CVs in old age and infirmity? I imagine Wendy will be cared for by Quidenham as she lives in their grounds, but in general?

And congratulations of course to the new CV!

Sponsa-Christi

Looking at her biography, I see she's 85, which makes me wonder - @Sponsa-Christi - does the bishop or diocese have any responsibility to help care for CVs in old age and infirmity? I imagine Wendy will be cared for by Quidenham as she lives in their grounds, but in general?

I suppose theoretically a diocese COULD do this. But right now, as far as I know, in most dioceses consecrated virgins are expected to provide for themselves (though I would imagine that a CV who worked directly for the diocese for most of her life would receive whatever pension a layperson in a similar position would).

I think Sr. Wendy does have an arrangement with the community who is hosting here. I recall reading somewhere that she gave a large portion of the royalties she received from her books and TV work to the community, so it makes sense that they would take the responsibility in caring for her.

Michelle Jones resides within the Archdiocese of Perth -- yet she identifies with the spirituality of Carmel - most particularly as found in the Carmelite Monastery at Quidenham. Sister Wendy resides on the grounds at Quidenham -- I believe it is correct -- to say Sister Wendy provided for the nuns -- from her life's work -- and so shall be cared for in turn by them. Sister Wendy is formerly a sister -- whether she has continued her vows as private I do not know -- now being a consecrated virgin who lives most like a hermit. Yet -- in her younger years -- she adopted a hybrid life improper to a hermit. Her embracing consecration as a virgin -- thereby makes sense. Sister Wendy frequently traveled -- and many public demands kept her from uninterrupted solitude. Her life's work -- was more fitting for a consecrated virgin -- than a hermit. Although a consecrated virgin remains free -- to live more or less secluded.

In my country -- a diocese does not provide for a virgin -- in advanced years. Yet this is not prohibited.

Blessings on this feast -- of the exaltation of the Holy Cross.

and talked with her once or twice after we left the church.

I so very misunderstood this the first time I read it!

What sad times we live in that I thought what I did. :(