An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why doesn't Catholic University of America like poor people?

dUSt

Basilisa Marie

Most Catholic schools don't give out a lot of scholarships, and their endowments aren't as big. Standford, the number one, has an endowment in the billions. 

Catholic elementary school is also expensive. 

Wow, that is expensive. As Basilisa Marie said, the endowments for Catholic colleges are not very big. The website said that the 2013 endowment for CUA was less than 300 million. I go to a private university that has an even higher per-year cost than CUA. However, my university had a 2013 endowment of 1.73 billion, and I was able to receive enough aid to attend at a relatively affordable cost.

Catholic boarding schools are equally bad at helping to provide access to poorer students. Catholic education institutions are sadly not always the best choices from a moral, cost or academic perspective. Fees in general for so many institutions seem to be set too high, as if to maybe keep them socially exclusive on purpose :think:

Ivy league institutions solve this problem by charging zero dollars to people whose families make under a certain amount (65 grand is common.)  Families who make under 150 grand have steep reductions. In America if you're smart enough you can get a top flight education at the best dozen or so schools in the country for FREE - and that includes FREE room and board. God bless America.

The reason ivies can do this is because their endowments are larger than the GDP of some small countries.

Catholic schools tend to be on the poor side. It's hard to be poor and help the poor.

I always thought the words University and Poverty were naturally opposed to each other.

Considering that the first universities were for medieval scholars, who were by definition embarking on a life of poverty (maybe even vowed), they aren't naturally opposed to each other...unless we're talking about modern universities, which are tools for getting a position in the system.

Considering that the first universities were for medieval scholars, who were by definition embarking on a life of poverty (maybe even vowed), they aren't naturally opposed to each other...unless we're talking about modern universities, which are tools for getting a position in the system.

Given that I do not live in medieval times I think you can safely assume I was referring to modern universities.  

Given that I do not live in medieval times I think you can safely assume I was referring to modern universities.  

Modern universities do not define what universities are "naturally." Medieval ones do. University and Poverty may be opposed to each other, just not naturally. 

I always thought the words University and Poverty were naturally opposed to each other.

If you get a degree in the liberal arts, they're practically synonymous.

Modern universities do not define what universities are "naturally." Medieval ones do. University and Poverty may be opposed to each other, just not naturally. 

Pray tell, in what way is any university "natural", rather than just "historical"?

Makes us look bad that we don't support our Catholic colleges better. 

This. Ask not what "the church" can do to fix the problem, but what you can do to fix the problem. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Q: Do you tithe?

A: Than how do you expect the church to give out more scholarships?

Q:Can we give 8% of a our tithe to a college or does the whole 10% have to go to the temple?

A: ?

Oh catholic book stores stink also, aiming for to high a profit and the christian bookstore(and im sure we are supposed to be christians also) sells stuff not for profit and has volunteers working as store attendants. Our parish priest gave a bangin homily tonight about if you aint doin the work you actually may not even have faith. We all should be helping the poor, start up a scholarship fund at your parish and gather a collection after every sunday mass if you priest says it is ok and combine all the parishes collections into one bank account and at the end of the year count it and find some people to pay for there education. If you donna want to do the work in this field donna worry find some other work to do and if you do wanna do such work and feel called to it than take my advice and just do it. Hey also im tired of sitting there oggling at statues thinking about how great the saints where, lets go do some work church. YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD RISE UP!

The world needs to see us doing works because works proove our faith. Thats what the priest said, he said the world just sees the highest quality marble statues and golden silk in the vatican because we are not doing the work, so what else are they going to focus on?

can pray all we want for the dishes to magicaly get washed up or pray for the grace to wash them up yourself!

Pray tell, in what way is any university "natural", rather than just "historical"?

A university is an idea with a form. It's a living idea, and modern universities still explicitly recognize their carrying on of the idea of the university of western tradition. Anyway, by natural I just mean a form in harmony with the idea. I happened tp read an essay by William James the other day arguing that the only purpose of a university is to train us to be able to judge the best in humanity, the way a skilled worker is trained to judge good and bad work in his craft...of course, he was writing a long time ago. Joh Henry Newman has an essay on the idea of the universty, I should read it.