An Old School Catholic Message Board

Syrian Refugee Crisis

Ice_nine

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle... If there's any validity to this, then we must ask ourselves, why are so many migrants from all over suddenly starting to converge on Europe? If the Syrian war isn't the proximate cause, what is?

I think it's a matter of numbers. At first Europe was making all the right noises about welcoming these people but as the numbers swelled, the clamp has come down. It's all well and good for the parish to take in one family or five families, but 20 families? Resource instincts kick in and the teeth are bared. It shouldn't be this way, I don't excuse them, but in a way I can't blame them either.

Francais de souche ou deuxieme langue que tu apprend? T'habite en France?

Français est ma deuxième langue, et j'habite aux Etats-Unis. Mes grandparents, cependant, étaient nés au Québec, et donc français était leur langue maternelle.

It is evident that several non-refuge are taking advantage of the situation to cross into Europe for all sorts of reasons.

A nation has a right and a duty to defend its borders - where to draw the line in this situation is difficult, but blatantly opening the doors to all would be clear negligence (as Germany has done).

If you guys want to speak French take it to private message please. Don't make me use google translate.

Will the migrants arriving in Germany be expected to speak German to gain entry or will they be allowed to speak their own language?

Will the migrants arriving in Germany be expected to speak German to gain entry or will they be allowed to speak their own language?

Were you inquiring me about French just to prove a point? If so, very clever...

Were you inquiring me about French just to prove a point? If so, very clever...

No - I was just joyful that I could actually post in my own language... if only for awhile.

The rest just kinda fell into place... the Lord works in mysterious ways...  and amen.

No - I was just joyful that I could actually post in my own language... if only for awhile.

The rest just kinda fell into place... the Lord works in mysterious ways...  and amen.

I understood everything in French between you two but I can speak very very little. Good to know my years sitting in French class weren't a complete waste :)