An Old School Catholic Message Board

culpability / Free will

superblue

how can in regards to reconciliation / a person dealing with habitual sin of any kind, be considered less culpable due to the sin being a habit,

when * humanity * has been given free will .. ?

For me I can not let myself relax and just have the mindset that a sinful habit is not such a big deal because it is a habit; I feel that I wasn't born with a habit , so I should be able to unlearn the habit and I also see that it is a lot harder thinking or trying to do that on my own without prayer.

But in general, habit , free will, and culpability do not seem to mix when free will to me seems to be the key.  It as if saying we no longer possess the free will to stop if a habit can be that strong, and then if we are to go with that train of thought is it really a habit any longer ? Is it possible to consider it more than just some vague habit with out logic or reason but could actually be a real problem or evil trap set by satan.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I'm up in arms about this one also. Unsure if it is a teaching from the universal magesterium or just some local tradition that is now spreading world wide. If i recall i think a priest said to me that some priests subscribe to it and some don't, don't quote me on it though because i do get mixed up at times and the priest may have been talking about something else but it was when i was talking to priests about sin and was accused by a priest for defiling the sacrament of confession which he later apologized for doing. My opinion is the bible says "all sin is wickedness but not all sin leads to death." And even if a sin isn't culpable and therefore now venial than you still can confess venial sins especially if your irish j/k lol, "to be sure to be sure," but seriously you can that's what i assume the holy ones do that only go to confession once a year, i can only assume they don't commit mortal sins otherwise they would be bangin em in the confessional. But also on the whole bible doctrine on sin as far as i can discern there are sins that are deliberately committed and sins that we kind of just fall into, perhaps this is what the church teaches, but also scripture warns us against any sin but if we do to confess, I'm not so eloquent with my explaining but it also says anyone who claims that they do not sin is a lier, the sense i get from this verse is that we will always have the nature of sin or the feelings of lust, anger, pride, etc but it doesn't mean we have to sin in action, thought or word. My understanding is this is a journey with the grace of Christ to subdue the beast in our life which is sin in action, thought and word. Some get that victory sometimes, some half the time, some most of the time and some all the time, but either way as long as we fight the good fight and persist to the very end we are assured heaven whether we have subdued the beast totally by the time we die or not, that just my understanding. Of course there is more to it than that but i doubt anyone wants to read anymore in the age of i have 4 minutes to save the world so i will wait for others to post and post more later.

Onward christian souls.

Jesus iz LORD!

Alleluia Hallelujah

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye