An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites in Elysburg

MarysLittleFlower

Has anyone discerned with them? What is it like? What is their age limit? I am just investigating communities that I'd be potentially interested in... Thanks! 

Here is a recent article about this order. http://catholicnewsherald.com/schools/53-news/roknewspager-local/1030-cloistered-carmelite-monastery-is-now-home-for-st-michaels-parishioner?showall=&start=1

IgnatiusofLoyola

This was a very interesting article. Thank-you for posting. One thing that struck me was that when Sister Bernadette met the Prioress of the Valparaiso Community, the Prioress asked her to to enter the next day. I'm not questioning this, only that I think an invitation to enter immediately is very unusual--I've never heard of this before (not that I am any kind of an expert--far from it!) Caveat: The article doesn't mention to what extent Sister Bernadette and the Prioress had been in communication prior to her first visit--it's possible there had been extended communication beforehand. (I have also read here on VS that the Valparaiso, Elysburg, and Kensington?) Communities do not do "live-ins" so a "live-in" wouldn't have been the expected next step after a visit.)

Since the article is about Sister Bernadette taking solemn vows, it seems the Prioress was accurate in assessing the strength of Sister Bernadette's vocation. And, what an act of faith on Sister Bernadette's part! I pray for joy and perseverance for Sister Bernadette as she continues in the religious life.

This was a very interesting article. Thank-you for posting. One thing that struck me was that when Sister Bernadette met the Prioress of the Valparaiso Community, the Prioress asked her to to enter the next day. I'm not questioning this, only that I think an invitation to enter immediately is very unusual--I've never heard of this before (not that I am any kind of an expert--far from it!) Caveat: The article doesn't mention to what extent Sister Bernadette and the Prioress had been in communication prior to her first visit--it's possible there had been extended communication beforehand. (I have also read here on VS that the Valparaiso, Elysburg, and Kensington?) Communities do not do "live-ins" so a "live-in" wouldn't have been the expected next step after a visit.)

Since the article is about Sister Bernadette taking solemn vows, it seems the Prioress was accurate in assessing the strength of Sister Bernadette's vocation. And, what an act of faith on Sister Bernadette's part! I pray for joy and perseverance for Sister Bernadette as she continues in the religious life.

yes, you're correct that they don't do live-ins. I believe they allow short stays in the visitor side though. 

Yes it certainly is something that she was asked to enter the next day!  I wonder if she actually did or not. 

• 2 weeks later...