An Old School Catholic Message Board

dont these popes admit that infallibility doesn't exist? how do you explain it

dairygirl4u2c

actually scratch that. that quote above about defining doctrines i see was in the definition section of vatican i. that definition isnt bad, it just leaves much to be desired in the bind v teach v define v solemnly define realm of things. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

yeah as he quoted, it's basically like i said. all a pope has to do is teach the church on faith and morals for it to be considered infallible. pretty simple. 

"

No. Only ex cathedra officially. Though some, half or most of everything else he says could actually be infallible. You decide what is and what isn't through the grace of prayer, meditation, contemplation, holy scripture, fellowship with your brothers and sisters in christ and the holy sacraments.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

notice he says more than just having heretical personal beliefs, he says they "teach" contrary to the faith. 

"If by the Roman Church you mean its head or pontiff, it is beyond question that he can err even in matters touching the faith. He does this when he teaches heresy by his own judgement or decretal. In truth, many Roman pontiffs were heretics. The last of them was Pope John XXII (1334)." Pope Adrian VI, 1523 (Quaestiones in IV Sent quoted in Viollet, Papal Infallibility and the Syllabus, 1908)

Pope Pius IX (1878) recognised the danger that a future pope would be a heretic and teach contrary to the Catholic Faith, and he instructed, do not follow him.

1. Who are you quoting?

2. What did those popes teach that was heretical?

1. Who are you quoting?

2. What did those popes teach that was heretical?

John XXII denied the immediacy of the beatific vision. Luckily he was convinced of the heresy of that position and recanted shortly before his death.

"He continued this argument for a time in sermons while he was pope, although he never taught it in official documents."

as to the immediacy of the beatic vision. even with my definition, being "teach" and not define, he would have to teach the whole church, and a sermon isn't that. though it is close. 

"He continued this argument for a time in sermons while he was pope, although he never taught it in official documents."

as to the immediacy of the beatic vision. even with my definition, being "teach" and not define, he would have to teach the whole church, and a sermon isn't that. though it is close. 

That is not the point. He, as a pope, held heretical beliefs. He was not able to define it as doctrine because it was heresy, and it was determined as such by the rest of the Church.

• 2 weeks later...