An Old School Catholic Message Board

Scapulars, scapular medals, and all the stuff attatched

4LoveofJMJ

So I recently bought a brown scapular on a whim not too long ago and am wondering about all the procedures that go into getting it blessed and if there is anything extra I need to know about the scapular in general. What sort of graces associated with it? Can I still wear it until getting it blessed?

Also I've tried wearing scapulars before in the past but they always irritated me so they never stayed for long. I'm still going to give it a shot with this one but in case it doesn't work, are scapular medals an acceptable substitution for the regular scapular medal? I've heard differing opinions on the subject so I thought I'd come here.

I wear a scapular medal, miraculous medal and St. Faustina medal. It's my Catholic bling!! My priest blessed all 3 and didn't mention anything about being enrolled.... 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

You don't have to be enrolled i guess but it is advisable to attain the promises with the brown scapular. Unsure about the medals. I am enrolled with the brown scapular and the made in taiwan ones at my catholic bookstore are tacky and the pictures wear out within a couple of weeks and the straps snap within a month. I had one once and the pictures remained for 2 years, the straps broke once and i got them sewn back on and they didn't break after that. Unsure what happened to it though, cant remember. The great scapular i got had st simon stock on one of the pictures and was only $2.50 and i bought it from the not for profit ecumenical store which has shut down now and the ones i've been buying from my local catholic book store that the pictures rub off, the straps snap and don't have st simon stocks picture on them are $4.50. Go figure. I have written my angst to the bishop of the possible coming if we aren't already in of the grey ages, as opposed to the dark ages, tacky tacky tacky!

I was enrolled a few weeks ago after mass and was told by the priest that by wearing the scapular that when you die that you will only stay in purgatory until the first Saturday after death and not suffer the fires of hell.  Also, you must say a rosary each day ( it used to be to say the little office of the bvm but it was lessened), live chastely according to your state in life, and abstain on Fridays (it used to be Wed. and Fri. but that was also lessened), and wear the scapular at all times.  If you wear through/ loose your scapular after you've been enrolled, you don't have to reenroll but just get the new scapular blessed like you would any other religious item.  He said that it's always a good idea to have a few extras ready for when that happens.  So far, being closer to Our Lady has really given me the grace to overcome some vices that I have been struggling with.