An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anglicans really aren't so bad

Winchester

When I really think about it, they're not that bad. They got off to a rough start, but they've settled down a lot, and nowadays hardly ever behead anyone. And their cathedrals are really pretty cool.

It's the Calvinists I really can't stand. They are insufferable.

Aren't Catholics pretty close to Calvinists when it comes to predestination?

Well, we regard them as totally heretical... so I would think not. We believe in a form of predestination, but their version is very crude and very wrong.

I had thought that there was a fair amount of agreement, the big difference being that we reject the idea of "double" predestination.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/TULIP.htm

I think the main issue is predestination to evil, which we reject as incompatible with God's nature. All good is predestined, and all evil comes from ourselves.

From Predestination by Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange:

To sum up: Against Semipelagianism, we must say that the Church affirms particularly three things: (a) The cause of predestination to grace is not the foreknowledge of naturally good works performed, nor is it due to any preliminary acts of the natural order that are supposed to prepare for salvation. (b) Predestination to glory is not due to foreseen supernatural merits that would continue to be effective apart from the special gift of final perseverance. (c) Complete predestination, which comprises the whole series of graces, is gratuitous or previous to foreseen merits. And St. Thomas understands this to mean that "whatsoever is in man disposing him towards salvation, is all included under the effect of predestination."(46) In a word: "that some are saved is the gift of Him who saves."(47)

4) Against predestinarianism and the doctrines of Protestantism and Jansenism that revive it, the Church teaches: (a) God wills in a certain way to save all men and He makes the fulfilment of His precepts possible for all; (b) There is no predestination to evil, but God has decreed from all eternity to inflict eternal punishment for the sin of final impenitence which He foresaw, He being by no means the cause of it but merely permitting it.

We see that the teaching of the Church against these conflicting heresies may be summed up in these profound words of St. Prosper, which the Council of Quierzy makes its own. Against Pelagianism and Semipelagianism the council says: "That some are saved, is the gift of Him who saves." Against predestinarianism it says: "That some perish, is the fault of those who perish." Holy Scripture expressed the same thought in these words: "Destruction is thy own, O Israel; thy help is only in Me."(48)

There is no difference of degree between the assent of the Christian mind unhesitatingly given to these two great and indisputable truths, and the mysterious mode of the intimate reconciliation.

Well, they're not Islam.

Insipid liberalism and political correctness and atheistic bishops are certainly a lot nicer than ISIS.

ISIS is Islam as much as the ATF is constitutional.

Of course.

The Religion of Peace is Peaceful.

I dunno what religion you claim to profess, but the only thing you spew of the forums is fear and hatred.

Not The Philosopher

The Calvinists may be something, but watch out for those Hobbesians. They keep talking about Leviathan, but I don't recall seeing him in any of the Calvin and Hobbes comics. Maybe its an injoke or something.

The Calvinists may be something, but watch out for those Hobbesians. They keep talking about Leviathan, but I don't recall seeing him in any of the Calvin and Hobbes comics. Maybe its an injoke or something.

Watterson forgot to name him explicitly, but all the aliens in Spaceman Spiff segments are individuals belonging to the species Leviathan.