An Old School Catholic Message Board

Padre Miles' First Confessions

PhuturePriest

I would never call you "Padre Miles."  I usually call priests by their last names out of respect, but that's just what I've always done...

Just be careful with Franciscans! it's proper to call them by their first name rather than their last.

Yep, diocesan priests are ideally (or at least politely until requested otherwise) Fr. Lastname; religious priests are Fr. Religious name.  My local diocesan newspaper decided it was going to use worldly convention and use Sr. Lastname - it drives me up the blazing wall.  Religious have given up their names, and in the spirituality of some of these orders, the right to a last name at all as a part of their vow of poverty, and then the newspaper wants to use solely their last name (which, btw, no one has ever used). 

Yep, diocesan priests are ideally (or at least politely until requested otherwise) Fr. Lastname; religious priests are Fr. Religious name.  My local diocesan newspaper decided it was going to use worldly convention and use Sr. Lastname - it drives me up the blazing wall.  Religious have given up their names, and in the spirituality of some of these orders, the right to a last name at all as a part of their vow of poverty, and then the newspaper wants to use solely their last name (which, btw, no one has ever used). 

I find that maddening, too. It's as if sisters are now first and foremost "professionals".

What?  Really?  I have yet to witness the Sr Lastname thing yet.   There are so few Sisters in my diocese anyway that for the few that exist its more common to use their full given name ie Sr Jane Doe.

I find that maddening, too. It's as if sisters are now first and foremost "professionals".

No kidding.  But it's even more ridiculous when their citing a cloistered contemplative nun who has changed her name.  

What?  Really?  I have yet to witness the Sr Lastname thing yet.   There are so few Sisters in my diocese anyway that for the few that exist its more common to use their full given name ie Sr Jane Doe.

Even sadder is that it's a really on the ball diocesan newspaper - you'd think they knew better.  I think some of the sisters just stopped giving their last names when asked.  So you'll see, "sr. smith taught catechism, and Sr. jones became superior, and sr. maria dolores of the perpetual virginity of mary is now the school nurse", or the like.