An Old School Catholic Message Board

Well this is depressing

Maggyie

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/03/world/gay-vatican-priest-krzystof-charamsa-feat/

this fellow worked at the CDF and also taught theology at the pontifical university in Rome... How likely is it that his colleagues knew about these goings on and did nothing about it? I enjoy how the article focus on him being gay (which is not a big deal) and glosses over his having a boyfriend (which would be a massive scandal even if it was a mistress and not a... Mister). 

Probably not an isolated case either. Seems designed to whip up pressure on the Synod. All in all makes one feel quite gloomy. 

I have more respect for priests who leave to get married than those who stay and live a lie. Why should the opinions of a coward and a fraud make a difference?

But, after all, who are we to judge, right?

Read and understood in context, these words of Pope Francis were about those with the attraction who wish to abide by Church teaching and seek to live chastely (those who seek to love and serve the Lord).

Read and understood in context, these words of Pope Francis were about those with the attraction who wish to abide by Church teaching and seek to live chastely (those who seek to love and serve the Lord).

While I found bard's underhanded comment a little annoying, one could simply say "well this gay priest IS trying to follow God/he's following his conscience!" So much was said in what I could read in the original article.

So, I can understand the frustration. Hostile times we're living in.

But if you're really trying to love God, you want to avoid certain things and if you do have the misfortune of falling, you repent and amend your life.  I do wish that he was more specific and clear though so as not to be misunderstood… so I also do understand the frustration.

As Monday Oct 5th is the feast of St Faustina this story reminds me of Jesus' words to her.  Words that all we sinners ought to take to heart and to pray for our own and others continued conversion. 

While there is still time, let them have recourse to the fountain of My mercy.  (Diary 848) 

I am prolonging the time of mercy for the sake of sinners. But woe to them if they do not recognize this time of My visitation. (Diary 1160)

He who refuses to pass through the door of My mercy must pass through the door of My justice. (Diary 1146).

For the sake of His sorrowful passion have mercy on us and on the whole world!

He who refuses to pass through the door of My mercy must pass through the door of My justice. (Diary 1146).

What a good quote!  Thank you for it.  It has given me something on which to reflect and pray.

Id imagine having an openly gay priest would be a really great thing for the church. Sends a message that "Hey we arent actually that homophobic."

Although it seems to me more of the reason for his dismissal was due to his relationship regardless of whether it was with a male or a female. But youd think that on some level having a priest asking for a change in how the church views homosexuality would be a threat. Its hard to tell which was a bigger factor in his dismissal. 

there was a priest in the diocese of my SD who left the church and the priesthood because he was gay and wanted to live with his partner, and he never felt the need to call the medias, he just did it. 

there was a priest in the diocese of my SD who left the church and the priesthood because he was gay and wanted to live with his partner, and he never felt the need to call the medias, he just did it. 

I can understand him doing it though. He had a relatively high rank and wanted to say "Hey Catholics out there who may feel lost, alone, or struggling with their place in the church as a homosexual person, youre not alone!"

There is definitely a personal ownership aspect to it, but its also done for solidarity in the homosexual community.

Edited by CrossCuT

I can understand him doing it though. He had a relatively high rank and wanted to say "Hey Catholics out there who may feel lost, alone, or struggling with their place in the church as a homosexual person, youre not alone!"

There is definitely a personal ownership aspect to it, but its also done for solidarity in the homosexual community.

not really. Most gay people have a problem with adultery and that's what this is... 

franciscanheart

not really. Most gay people have a problem with adultery and that's what this is... 

This is an [ignorant] assumption, not fact.

I believe we agree that the bigger issue here is the fact that he was a priest in a relationship. Although to me personally, Im not bothered, but I know that from a Catholic perspective its a big deal.

Edited by CrossCuT