An Old School Catholic Message Board

Relief from suffering?

Not A Mallard

Not A Mallard

I've been struggling with the concept of going outside of yourself to help others because I'm socially anxious, apathetic, and very stubborn in my ways. Today, I finally decided that I should just do it, but now I'm bothered a question. Suffering is supposed to make up for sin, correct? So if suffering is good, why are Christians called to relieve others, such as those who live in poverty, of their suffering?

Not The Philosopher

Suffering is an evil. As such it is not actively willed by God. Rather, God allows suffering to occur insofar as he can draw an even greater good from it. But only God completely understands the sufferings that will be beneficial for any particular person's salvation. From our perspective, we should help ameliorate the sufferings of others, because we have a duty to oppose evil. The individuals who participated in the Crucifixion were still guilty of murder, even though the suffering and death that resulted from that was what redeemed the world.

Suffering which is the direct result of sin is akin to the pain of sticking your hand in a fire: you're doing something harmful to the human person. Suffering which is voluntarily done for penitential purposes isn't done for its own sake, but rather to help purify the soul and make amends for sin.

Edited by Not The Philosopher
Clarification

I live with constant pain. I choose to forgo narcotics rather than expose myself to the much larger evil of addiction. I believe this suffering has made me a better person in many ways, but if you are capable of easing my pain, or others pain, through invention or research, please do so. 

Catherine Therese
  • Suffering is an effect of sin, not a solution to sin.
  • Nothing we can do or experience can make up for sin - the offerings of a finite creature cannot rectify an offence against the Infinite Creator. 
  • The loving sacrifice of Christ on the Cross - true God yet true man - is what makes up for sin, not our suffering. 
  • What helps us to ensure our suffering is meaningful and valuable is for us to unite it with His redemptive sacrifice on the Cross. 

Also worth noting: it was the LOVE of God that triumphed on the Cross. Love trumps any sense of duty to which we may find ourselves beholden. So whilst it is true that we have a duty to make good use of the sufferings we experience, uniting them with Him and His sacrifice as well as offering them as acts of thanksgiving, it is also true that an act of love pleases God and is the very best thing we can do to imitate He who loved us unto death. Therefore an act of love in easing the suffering of others pleases God an does not diminish the net goodness in a situation that might have otherwise come from the suffering of the person you have helped. 

MarysLittleFlower

God doesn't directly will our suffering. He is compassionate and when Jesus was on earth He always tried to help those who suffered and alleviate their pain. When we so that too, we are loving as God loves and we also serve Christ in our neighbour. The reason God allows suffering is not because its good in itself or because He doesn't mind seeing us suffer, or is indifferent, but because He sees that the response can help us grow in love and holiness... But only if we take it that way. Some misuse suffering and turn away from God instead. Its not our place to make decisions like allowing suffering, that is up to God's permissive Will. We are called to alleviate others sufferings out of compassion and God does this too. We can see it in the Gospels. We can also console Christ Himself in the Passion which is an act of love. Regarding our own suffering though, it is an act of love to bear it and offer it to God for others.