An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuns with animals picture thread

NadaTeTurbe

IgnatiusofLoyola
7 hours ago, Gabriela said:

Definitely DominiCANES.

Well, to be precise it should probably be DominiCANINES, or Domini Canus (Dog of the Lord). St. Dominic's mother had a dream about a dog with a torch in its mouth before she became pregnant with St. Dominic. Many paintings of St. Dominic include a dog with torch in its mouth.

5 hours ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

Well, to be precise it should probably be DominiCANINES, or Domini Canus (Dog of the Lord). St. Dominic's mother had a dream about a dog with a torch in its mouth before she became pregnant with St. Dominic. Many paintings of St. Dominic include a dog with torch in its mouth.

But "canes" is the nominative plural... ""Dogs of the Lord"

IgnatiusofLoyola
1 hour ago, Julie said:

But "canes" is the nominative plural... ""Dogs of the Lord"

I'll take your word for it--I don't know Latin. When I suggested the term "canines" I wasn't thinking about Latin, I was simply thinking of one of the common terms for dogs. My real error was in saying "To be more precise...." when really what I was doing was making a couple of basically unrelated semi-humorous remarks and in no way trying to be academic. 

Plus, my cat is now mad at me because I made a post talking about dogs. :hehe2::idontknow:

8 minutes ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

Plus, my cat is now mad at me because I made a post talking about dogs. :hehe2::idontknow:

Oh no! Better show kitty the picture of Mother Angelica!

Or this one:

nuncatcard.jpg

Nuns are Cat(a)holics, after all. :)

IgnatiusofLoyola
6 minutes ago, Julie said:

Oh no! Better show kitty the picture of Mother Angelica!

Or this one:

nuncatcard.jpg

Nuns are Cat(a)holics, after all. :)

Hmmm, well, unlike dogs who don't seem to mind wearing clothes, most cats hate it. Her fur is all black, and she considers that habit better than anything humans could come up with.

Also, I'm not Catholic, so if my cat is religious at all (we've never discussed the subject), she is an Angli-cat. :) 

My cats are also anti-clothes. I think I could bribe them with some church mice, though. :)

Well, at least Paco. He's a sweet little thing. I ought to make him a Franciscan habit, in honor of his namesake. :P

Yinepu Sanctimonialis
On 12/3/2015, 7:05:55, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

Hmmm, well, unlike dogs who don't seem to mind wearing clothes, most cats hate it. Her fur is all black, and she considers that habit better than anything humans could come up with.

Also, I'm not Catholic, so if my cat is religious at all (we've never discussed the subject), she is an Angli-cat. :) 

I completely agree, to wear religious habit - even costume - is better - and more elegant - than anything humans could come up with.