An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summit Dominicans Offer Wonderful 2016 Jubilee Year Calendar

IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

I'd like to recommend to all of you that you consider purchasing the 2016 Jubilee Year Calendar now being offered by the Summit Dominicans.

The calendar includes large, beautiful photos of the Monastery, inside and out, for each month, that also include glimpses of Community life, along with inspirational quotations.

In addition to the photos for each month, a full-size calendar page includes the feast days of the Liturgical Year and the Dominican Order, as well as the feast days of all the Community's Sisters, so that we can offer them special prayers on "their" day.

The calendar celebrates the 800th Jubilee of the Nuns of the Order of Preachers (Dominican Nuns). All the proceeds from the sale of the calendar go to the Capital Campaign of the Dominican Monastery of our Lady of the Rosary. Although the nuns have a large and beautiful Chapel, the space in the Monastery for the nuns is not as large as the size of the Chapel would suggest. The Community has been blessed with new vocations, including an additional new postulant (or two?) in 2015. The building project will, among other things, add workrooms etc. for the nuns, so that former nuns' cells that are currently being used as workrooms can be reverted back to their original purpose of housing the Community. The building additions will also make more room for visitors to the Community and the Chapel, as well as add an elevator and handicap access to the Chapel and the New Wing. There is a picture of the New Wing on the inside back cover of the calendar, and it works perfectly with the current entrance to the Chapel.

The cost of the calendar is $15, which includes shipping. The calendars would make wonderful gifts. Even if a Catholic friend or family member is not familiar with the Summit Dominicans, they will not only enjoy the photos, but find the reminders of saints' feast days very useful.

Note: I have deliberately posted this in Open Mic rather than Vocation Station, because I think that even Phatmassers who are not discerning Religious Life will enjoy the calendar. Also, Sister Mary Catharine, O.P., Novice Mistress of the Summit Dominicans, is an active and valued member of the Phatmass Community. I'd like to think that everyone on Phatmass wants to help support each other.

Caveat: I made this post on my own, and any errors (of which I hope there are none) are solely mine. Even after five years on Phatmass, I still get confused with terms, and which words are capitalized or not.

If you have the $15, please consider purchasing the calendar, either for yourself or as a gift. If you cannot afford the $15, I know the Nuns would greatly appreciate your prayers for their Capital Campaign, as well as prayers for their aspirants and new postulants.

I purchased a calendar for myself, and I love it!

I KNEW I'd forget SOMETHING! :(

Here is a link to the Cloister Shoppe of the Summit Dominicans, where you can purchase the calendar.

http://summitdominicans.3dcartstores.com/2016-Jubilee-Year-Calendar_p_315.html

whatever ds, you only knew about it cos I said I was sending you one!

Great idea for a Christmas gift for a dozen or so family members and friends!

and the best part is it has all Major Canadian feast days as well!

IgnatiusofLoyola

BTW Vee, it's considered bad form to take a brown marker and color (colour?) all the Sisters' habits brown. Your preference for a brown habit is well known, but you also need to respect the Dominicans, although I know that is hard for you. :P

Now the system has Vee talking to herself. :huh:

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

If i could get my hands on the calendar before it got to ds I would consider changing them all brown, its an excellent idea!  Actually ds has a little statue that originally looked like a Benedictine and she painted it to look like a Dominican! :rolleyes:

dominicansoul

Yes, I collect those little nun statuettes and they are all in black habits.  All it takes is a bit of white paint and viola!  :D

IgnatiusofLoyola

And that bayberry candle! :love:

The Summit Dominicans offer a LOT of great candles. Although it's hard to choose, I think my very favorite is "Apple Harvest." The Apple Harvest candle is supposed to be for fall, but I like it any time of year. http://summitdominicans.3dcartstores.com/APPLE-HARVEST-JAR-CANDLE_p_217.html

I also especially like the "Christmas Hearth" candle. Since I don't have the energy to put up a Christmas tree, and my house doesn't have a fireplace, this candle really does make my house smell like Christmas. http://summitdominicans.3dcartstores.com/CHRISTMAS-HEARTH-JAR_p_216.html

I remember that last year we had a discussion about finding Advent candles. The Summit Dominicans are already offering these. If you think you might want to order Advent Candles, it's probably better to do it sooner rather than later because the Sisters only make a limited number of these candles and I think they sell out most years. This year the Advent Candles are made of 100% Beeswax. (The Sisters also offer other beeswax candles, as well.)  http://summitdominicans.3dcartstores.com/ADVENT-CANDLES-_p_232.html

Back to Bayberry candles. In addition to their usual (great) Bayberry jar candle, this year the Sisters are also offering a special Bayberry Christmas Eve candle made from real bayberry wax. According to the Web site, it was an old Irish custom to leave a candle in the window on Christmas Even to welcome the Christ Child and the Holy Family. During penal times, it was a way of telling priests in hiding that a Catholic family was in residence.  http://summitdominicans.3dcartstores.com/The-Bayberry-Christmas-Eve-Candle_p_322.html

• 2 months later...

I received the calendar from my parents for Christmas, and it is beautiful! It's full of lovely pictures from the monastery. :) 

Edited by HopefulHeart