An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Order?

John Paul

I went to the Mission Children Association Mass at our Cathedral where the bishop lives and the place was swarming with monks and nuns!I could tell all the orders except one they dressed just like a Dominican but had a black capuche and scapular and they had a 15 decade rosary on their side but instead of beads they were knots.

Any Ideas?

IgnatiusofLoyola

I went to the Mission Children Association Mass at our Cathedral where the bishop lives and the place was swarming with monks and nuns!I could tell all the orders except one they dressed just like a Dominican but had a black capuche and scapular and they had a 15 decade rosary on their side but instead of beads they were knots.

Any Ideas?

Just to clarify, were the members of the Order you are trying to identify men or women (or both)?

Geez, if we were back in the day, I'd say they were lay brothers/nuns, but that's no longer.  So I'll say Cistercian or Trappist.  They have a black scapular and sometimes a hood (but not generally a capuche). We'll need more details!

If the attendees were all from your diocese, you might check out your diocese's web page and look for a tab that says "Religious Life" or something like that. Most dioceses show a list of religious orders in the dioceses.

If the attendees were all from your diocese, you might check out your diocese's web page and look for a tab that says "Religious Life" or something like that. Most dioceses show a list of religious orders in the dioceses.

Already did so doesn't match any of those orders.They were men.The only Trappists the diocese says they contain is the Abbey of Gethsaminie which is odd considering I live around Springfield,Il. One was assisting the Bishop distribute Communion,and the other was translating the mass into sign language for a elderly deaf priest.What other details would you like That would help!

Already did so doesn't match any of those orders.They were men.The only Trappists the diocese says they contain is the Abbey of Gethsaminie which is odd considering I live around Springfield,Il. One was assisting the Bishop distribute Communion,and the other was translating the mass into sign language for a elderly deaf priest.What other details would you like That would help!

Right. Those are the Dominican Missionaries for the Deaf Apostolate. I know some of those guys.

They're in "the Dominican family" but are not officially affiliated with the order yet. Their web site has some good information.  

does this group still exist?

Yes. They started out in Santa Rosa, CA, I think. Then moved to San Antonio, where they still have a house. Then expanded to Madison, IL (St. Louis metropolitan area, but the diocese of Springfield in Illinois).