An Old School Catholic Message Board

cross with rose on it?

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I found a little pin one day that's a little cross with a rose on it. To me it was just decorative and I thought "oh cool! A cross and a rose, this reminds me of St Therese!". So I wore it around her feast day. Then I thought maybe I'll look it up and if it actually has some meaning... And I found a similar thing on masonic sites!!!!! :O. So just so its clear I'm TOTALLY against the masons. I tell people about Our Lady of Good Success to tell them about how bad the masonic sects are.

Now I'm kind of scared... Was I wearing a masonic symbol all this time?? :(  some other sites I saw are associated with veterans so I thought maybe its a veterans thing? But why the masons? :( if you Google "cross and rose pin and masons" you will see what I mean. Why would they use a cross at all? So misleading!

...So if it was masonic I didn't sin and get excommunicated did I? Cause I had zero such intention. Poor St Therese! (End of my long speech... Please help me out).

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

There used to be a retreat program for young adults - high school juniors & seniors, and college students - called Search for Christian Maturity (generally referred to simply as Search).

They used a cross with a rose on it, too. They had medals. Maybe you got hold of a Search medal.

Nihil Obstat

I found a little pin one day that's a little cross with a rose on it. To me it was just decorative and I thought "oh cool! A cross and a rose, this reminds me of St Therese!". So I wore it around her feast day. Then I thought maybe I'll look it up and if it actually has some meaning... And I found a similar thing on masonic sites!!!!! :O. So just so its clear I'm TOTALLY against the masons. I tell people about Our Lady of Good Success to tell them about how bad the masonic sects are.

Now I'm kind of scared... Was I wearing a masonic symbol all this time?? :(  some other sites I saw are associated with veterans so I thought maybe its a veterans thing? But why the masons? :( if you Google "cross and rose pin and masons" you will see what I mean. Why would they use a cross at all? So misleading!

...So if it was masonic I didn't sin and get excommunicated did I? Cause I had zero such intention. Poor St Therese! (End of my long speech... Please help me out).

Excommunication would only possibly be relevant if you had actually joined a Mason-affiliated group. (You cannot even join the Masons as you are, I think, female.)
In any case, it is not guaranteed that it was a Masonic symbol. If you would like, post a picture here and we can try to figure it out.

bardegaulois

All you did was to wear a symbol to which you had ascribed a meaning perhaps different from what was intended by its maker. Not only are you not excommunicated, you didn't even sin.

The Rosy Cross, however, though used by certain higher levels of Masons, is quite independent of Masonry. It has a long history as a symbol used by Western Kabbalists, alchemists, and hermeticists in general, and even by New-Agers and occultists today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosy_Cross. Some have organized themselves into sets of Rosicrucians. So the Rosy Cross is not quite Masonic, but emerges from the same milieu.

MarysLittleFlower

Ah that's not any better :( I'm terrified to think I may have worn a symbol of the Rosicrucians! I understand though that sin is in the will :) what should I do with it now? Of course I took it off. I still think its so misleading that those esoteric groups would use a cross in their symbols. They deny true Christianity

So it looks like this basically... But the rose is pink. It doesn't have all that added stuff of the Rosicrucian picture. http://www.autom.com/lapel-pins/pins-under-1/rose-cross-enamel-pin-10283.  I thought it could also be veteran related because I saw some links to that too. I don't know. In any case it clearly refers to something other than what I wanted lol. Of course I'd rather it be related to veterans than some anti Catholic sect of any type like masons / Rosicrucians / etc.

bardegaulois

Ah that's not any better :( I'm terrified to think I may have worn a symbol of the Rosicrucians! I understand though that sin is in the will :) what should I do with it now? Of course I took it off. I still think its so misleading that those esoteric groups would use a cross in their symbols. They deny true Christianity

So it looks like this basically... But the rose is pink. It doesn't have all that added stuff of the Rosicrucian picture. http://www.autom.com/lapel-pins/pins-under-1/rose-cross-enamel-pin-10283.  I thought it could also be veteran related because I saw some links to that too. I don't know. In any case it clearly refers to something other than what I wanted lol. Of course I'd rather it be related to veterans than some anti Catholic sect of any type like masons / Rosicrucians / etc.

There's no way to know its provenance for sure, so it's best you not worry about it too much. If the fact that it could have been a sign of occultists or sorcerers is bothering, just bring it to a priest and ask him to bless it with holy water. That will surely dispel anything that may be attached to it, and allow what is truly a beautiful symbol to be redeemed from any troubling connotations.

MarysLittleFlower

Of course its not but I just don't want people to think I'm a Rosicrucian or something like that. Its the association. That's why I won't wear it anymore. I switched to my pin of St Philomena instead :D. I also think those groups shouldn't use this symbolism because its a cross. 

Of course its not but I just don't want people to think I'm a Rosicrucian or something like that. Its the association. That's why I won't wear it anymore. I switched to my pin of St Philomena instead :D. I also think those groups shouldn't use this symbolism because its a cross. 

You can't control what people think any more than you can accurately guess what they're thinking.  Especially considering 99% would think: "a cross with a rose on it. Pretty". End of story. 

However, I'm concerned that you found someone's trinket and kept it with going to great effort to return it or turn it in to lost and found.  That seems like bad juju.   Especially if it was a religious symbol.  It could have been discarded by a Darkfriend.   It seems it set its hook into you immediately and it thinks it owns you now.  Please report yourself to a Bishop for possible exorcism or cleansing ASAHP (as soon as holy possible).  

:lol3:   Kidding 

MarysLittleFlower

Well just to clarify I don't mean that I found something that someone lost. It was in a give away box - someone was giving it, not losing it :)

AccountDeleted

There are also Celtic crosses with roses on them- lots of different styles. Why don't you post a pic and we can try to identify it.

crossrose.thumb.jpg.e10d6ce916137eb83016