An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should the Questions Forum only be Answered by Scholars and Clergy again?

AccountDeleted

Bring Back Church Scholars?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

or have people submit some kind of resume to dust, showing that they completed some kind of catechist training or , and didn't just earn an internet tag title or claim to be something when they are not.

MarysLittleFlower

Since I've been involved in this I'll reply... I'm sorry that I got upset in that thread and especially at CatherineM. I tried to bring a different point to consider in the question that is truly based on Church teaching, explained to me by people who are very educated in it - without meaning any disrespect, probably more than us, considering the reputation of the seminary they attended. It was not my personal opinion. However I also said I don't know the answer to the actual question for sure. Maybe I'll ask my priest just for my own info. :) based on things I was told on potentially attending yet not participating in non Catholic weddings, I tried to guess, and I can see how that is not part of Q and A. However I'm fairly certain the part about active participation being discouraged is Church teaching. Anyways... I'm sorry to anyone I've irritated with this. No hard feelings for anyone. God bless :)

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate the move to allow more people to answer because not only does it remove a lot of the posting burden from our dear Church Scholars but it also potentially spreads out the possible private backlash to answering certain questions that I've heard reported. (last year?)

I have an idea, but I don't know if it's workable.  We could keep answering privileges either as is or keep it to CMs - but either way we would have to deal with potentially wonky answers, as has been discussed on this thread already.  But what if we then restricted votes too?  Maybe only CMs could vote.  We might potentially still get a bit of difficulty but I think it would be a push in the right direction.  

Or maybe only Church Scholars could vote.  That, of course, would be an extra burden on them, but not as much as writing all the answers would be.  We wouldn't expect a vote for every answer but maybe we could hope for a downvote for the wonky answers at least.  Of course, there's a new problem here.  Downvotes are anonymous (I think?) but if everyone knew that only CatherineM or cappie were doing it I can see how that could push unnecessary drama onto them, and we obviously don't want to do that to these faithful souls.  

In any case, that's just an idea I had, and maybe there's a way to make it work painlessly.  I don't know.

I see why people want the CM tag to be re-evaluated and possibly restricted, but I just don't see its feasibility without creating new drama and new problems that would overshadow the one we're currently trying to address.  But I guess it's up to dust.

If we want open answers, there is a forum for that. It's Transmundane Lane. No?

Apparently no. Hence I change my answer to it should not be limited to scholars and clergy.

• 4 months later...
CatholicFangirl

I'm a bit too new to have full context of the situation, but after reading through this thread, I would like to propose a compromise:

What if a new tag between Scholar and Militant were established?

It could be like "Church Student" or how about "Armchair Apologist"

It would be used to denote Phatmassers who spend more time than usual studying the faith, but don't have any official degrees.

I'm not quite sure how it would work but I think the idea could be played around with a bit.

On 3/26/2016, 1:19:53, CatholicFangirl said:

I'm a bit too new to have full context of the situation, but after reading through this thread, I would like to propose a compromise:

What if a new tag between Scholar and Militant were established?

It could be like "Church Student" or how about "Armchair Apologist"

It would be used to denote Phatmassers who spend more time than usual studying the faith, but don't have any official degrees.

I'm not quite sure how it would work but I think the idea could be played around with a bit.

That's really what the Church Militant tag should be. The problem is we've given out the CM tag to people who shouldn't have it. Call me a fascist, but I'm for taking it away when it's warranted.

Can't pleez everyone...

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I think if the clergy or theologian is available we must take that route. Further discussion on the matter after the question has been answered can be made on the discussion board or debate table.