An Old School Catholic Message Board

@dUSt: Can We Do Something about the Lazarusing?

Gabriela

Of the Genuine Interest of Old Threads...

I have always noticed things in a particular way.  I see in old threads a demeanor and discussion which are far different than the ones of today.  the language used, the terms, and the expressions on phatmass have changed over the years, and I found this to be quite fascinating.  It is one of the genuine interests I have in the older threads, and indeed I do spend much time reading old threads, which I have always found just as interesting and at times captivating as the new ones.  

I do not expect however, others to share this interest, or to notice these eccentricities as I do.  I do hope, at times, although perhaps in vain, that some may share such interest.  

Of the Validity of Things that are old...

What you say today, will it be worthy of reading tomorrow?  What is the standard to determine the death of a thread anyways?

If worthy of reading one day, is it not worthy of reading on any day?  Why would the placing of the sun affect the value of the written word?

Have those who posted in the past no longer worth reading by the simple implication that they are no longer present to notice you?  

I would risk myself and affirm that I believe a conversation in the past, is just as valid a read a conversation of today.  Least a we not all wasting our time today to be scuffed off tomorrow?

Of Emotional Investment...

I have always been amazed at the emotional and personal investment people of all kind place in these forums.  The reactions seen in this thread, from one account to another, show how invested some of us are in these matters which are yet so simple things.

Did this thread not start out as a joke?  How did it come to be so serious so quickly?  And for such a seemingly trivial thing?

I can say with confidence that if such emotion run so quickly, and so feverishly, it can only be because to a real extent, many amongst us have taken a real ownership of this cyber-place, and somehow find a piece familiar enough to us that we dare compare it to home. How this comes to be remains a genuine mystery to me, but somehow I do not believe it to be very far from the truth.

Of Clutter of all Kind...

Clutter is the main complaint for old threads propping up among new ones.  Strange the new clutter is so readily welcomed, but a complaint on such a simple a matter befalls on time alone.  Many threads I could have deemed childish altogether, or pointless, or useless, but I would never dare such a comment.  If I would not want to invest my interest to one or another thread or post, I would always leave it where they lie and leave the posters to their own devices.  yet many a times, it would seem to me, that clutter of old thread was by far the least of clutter all together.

Of Childish things....

To allow ourselves, at least for a moment, although without noise or ourselves being present to one another, using only typed words, to be such a children, or outright childish, does not seem as such a horrible thing to me.  It would not surprise me that at one occasion or another, we have all been to a certain level, guilty of childish things on this forum.  I do firmly believe, it is one of the aspects of phatmass that many of us have come to know and enjoy even though we may not realize it.

Of things made of Trash...

I am not completely certain as to the intent or definition to be affixed to the term 'white-trash', however, I have come to hold it as a term of endearment.  

Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken in this comprehension.

In my personal defense...

No matter the post, the response, the smiley or other, in my defense, I have never said to a fellow phatmasser that 'look here, because of this, you are less.', or 'see here, as you say this, you are now below me', or again I have never said such thing as 'as you say this or that, you are now unworthy of me.'.

Should I be in error in this, please point it out to me; I will apologize, as possible make amends, and do my best t ostraighten my ways.

In my own defense, the resurrection of old threads, even though in quantities may be a matter of opinion, is far from the better concerns to behold from one to another.

'Je ne  suis pas d'accord avec ce que tu dit, mais je vais me battre jusqu'a la mort afin que tu puisse le dire.' Cyrano de Bergerac

My apologies for the french sentence - I am not sure how to translate that, but Cyrano has always expressed so well in my mother tongue that principal to which I have always strived to be true.

Of counter attacks...

I cannot endorse those who would respond by an attack to those who have first attacked.  Even should these attacks be favorable to my positions.  

For some reason, I believe this needed be said.  No offense intended to anyone.

And finally, may God Himself be my judge.  and If my lot be hell then so be it for God is just.

dominicansoul

Nooooooo, it's just really annoying and considered inconsiderate by several people. It's a courtesy rule. I feel like it's changing phatmass' vibe but that doesn't bother me because I don't need to spend much time here, but I can see how that is annoying to people. 

From what I've read, it seems most people find the complaining about the old threads annoying, not the old threads themselves... 

I would hope that whoever resurrects threads will read this post and take it into consideration the next time they are tempted to do so. I hope charity, respect and integrity will eventually win.

I personally have no stance on the issue. Some old threads are legitimately interesting to me, in limited quantity.

I would hope those annoyed would offer it up for the salvation of souls...

Here's a suggestion:

...read "Story of a Soul"  lol

btw, @Didacus, I'm not annoyed I find it fascinating to see what Phatmass was like way back when... (but this is only an October thing, right?)  lol

a bunch of things yadda yadda

And finally, may God Himself be my judge.  and If my lot be hell then so be it for God is just.

Relax, it's not that serious. I doubt God is sending anyone to hell over this. It was just annoying, like a guy who keeps making the same joke when several people keep telling him it's not funny.

MarysLittleFlower

Of the Genuine Interest of Old Threads...

I have always noticed things in a particular way.  I see in old threads a demeanor and discussion which are far different than the ones of today.  the language used, the terms, and the expressions on phatmass have changed over the years, and I found this to be quite fascinating.  It is one of the genuine interests I have in the older threads, and indeed I do spend much time reading old threads, which I have always found just as interesting and at times captivating as the new ones.  

I do not expect however, others to share this interest, or to notice these eccentricities as I do.  I do hope, at times, although perhaps in vain, that some may share such interest.  

Of the Validity of Things that are old...

What you say today, will it be worthy of reading tomorrow?  What is the standard to determine the death of a thread anyways?

If worthy of reading one day, is it not worthy of reading on any day?  Why would the placing of the sun affect the value of the written word?

Have those who posted in the past no longer worth reading by the simple implication that they are no longer present to notice you?  

I would risk myself and affirm that I believe a conversation in the past, is just as valid a read a conversation of today.  Least a we not all wasting our time today to be scuffed off tomorrow?

Of Emotional Investment...

I have always been amazed at the emotional and personal investment people of all kind place in these forums.  The reactions seen in this thread, from one account to another, show how invested some of us are in these matters which are yet so simple things.

Did this thread not start out as a joke?  How did it come to be so serious so quickly?  And for such a seemingly trivial thing?

I can say with confidence that if such emotion run so quickly, and so feverishly, it can only be because to a real extent, many amongst us have taken a real ownership of this cyber-place, and somehow find a piece familiar enough to us that we dare compare it to home. How this comes to be remains a genuine mystery to me, but somehow I do not believe it to be very far from the truth.

Of Clutter of all Kind...

Clutter is the main complaint for old threads propping up among new ones.  Strange the new clutter is so readily welcomed, but a complaint on such a simple a matter befalls on time alone.  Many threads I could have deemed childish altogether, or pointless, or useless, but I would never dare such a comment.  If I would not want to invest my interest to one or another thread or post, I would always leave it where they lie and leave the posters to their own devices.  yet many a times, it would seem to me, that clutter of old thread was by far the least of clutter all together.

Of Childish things....

To allow ourselves, at least for a moment, although without noise or ourselves being present to one another, using only typed words, to be such a children, or outright childish, does not seem as such a horrible thing to me.  It would not surprise me that at one occasion or another, we have all been to a certain level, guilty of childish things on this forum.  I do firmly believe, it is one of the aspects of phatmass that many of us have come to know and enjoy even though we may not realize it.

Of things made of Trash...

I am not completely certain as to the intent or definition to be affixed to the term 'white-trash', however, I have come to hold it as a term of endearment.  

Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken in this comprehension.

In my personal defense...

No matter the post, the response, the smiley or other, in my defense, I have never said to a fellow phatmasser that 'look here, because of this, you are less.', or 'see here, as you say this, you are now below me', or again I have never said such thing as 'as you say this or that, you are now unworthy of me.'.

Should I be in error in this, please point it out to me; I will apologize, as possible make amends, and do my best t ostraighten my ways.

In my own defense, the resurrection of old threads, even though in quantities may be a matter of opinion, is far from the better concerns to behold from one to another.

'Je ne  suis pas d'accord avec ce que tu dit, mais je vais me battre jusqu'a la mort afin que tu puisse le dire.' Cyrano de Bergerac

My apologies for the french sentence - I am not sure how to translate that, but Cyrano has always expressed so well in my mother tongue that principal to which I have always strived to be true.

Of counter attacks...

I cannot endorse those who would respond by an attack to those who have first attacked.  Even should these attacks be favorable to my positions.  

For some reason, I believe this needed be said.  No offense intended to anyone.

I see what you mean Didacus in your points. Of course though, God did not create you for hell :) God bless you! 

• 6 years later...
BarbTherese
On 10/11/2015 at 4:07 PM, AccountDeleted said:

Thanks @veritasluxmea . You have the skill that is known as diplomacy. They say it is 'The art of telling someone to go to h3ll in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey.'  I know you weren't telling me that but your point is taken. If I am hard, I have become that way through some pretty bad experiences of abuse in the past 8 years. I used to be a pussycat. Now I try to stand up for myself, and it can come across as hard. I also state my opinions as worthy of being heard because for so long they weren't. Maybe until I am fully recovered from all the abuse, I will come across as hard, I don't know.

I still don't understand though why it is ok for some people to make personal attacks just because they either don't like an opinion or how it was expressed. They hide their personal attacks with adjectives. I have been called all kinds of names on here, but I could use so many of those same names against others on phatmass. Names like passive-aggressive or arrogant or pretentious or cranky or know-it-all or condescending etc. But I don't call people names unless they do it first. I try to just state my opinion.I do respect the opinions of others, even though it might not seem so. I only fight back personally when someone does it to me first. I try to stick to the topic.If I don't understand why I person gets upset at resurrecting old threads, I say so, then I am called insensitive, when all I wanted was for someone to explain why they are upset. If I get upset about being called names, then I am called too sensitive, and told that I am [insert adjective here].

I really don't have a clue. And you say you can't tell me. So be it. People here will just have to put up with my personality - as I have to put up with theirs.I often want to call someone names, but I don't. There are a lot of abrasive personalities on phatmass - I am just one of them. People will have to learn to live with it - or block me - until I decide to leave - but only because I want to, not because bullies tried to get rid of me. And if you think there aren't bullies here on phatmass, dream on.

But thank you for your kindness. there are still true Christians on this site, and fortunately they are in the majority.

i second the motion.............well stated

Regards........Barb :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I was ill and had broken bones in my right hand after a fall.  I was in hospital for about 4 months in all.  I was in rehabilitation for a fair while, I had to strengthen and learn to use my right hand again......it is still weak.   It had been in plaster - 3 consecutive plasters in fact.

After I came home, for some reason I could not find why I could not post into Phatmass, though it seemed I was logged in ok..........and that dragged on for a fair while.  Eventually, for some reason after accessing Phatmass again to read, I found I could post again.  I eventually noticed, that my rank was changed to newbie or something and my joining date stated in my Profile as October 2021.  I have been an active member on Pham for about 8 years I think it is, around that or so, except for my stint in hospital...and then unable to post...........

Beats me! ........... was I kicked off Pham for some reason - and then in a spirit of compassionate mercy reinstated with demotion or something........it is all in the realm to me of the complete unknown with all the rest.....and a bit of a nuisance ..........it's a misleading Profile too.......

...................:mad3:............:lol4:.............

Just thought I might be able to fix things........I hope............

I think I might have fixed things in the ABOUT of my BarbTherese Profile.

• 7 months later...
BarbTherese
On 8/24/2022 at 9:29 PM, BarbTherese said:

...................:mad3:............:lol4:.............

Right! Dropping me bundle gets me nowhere................guess I will just s-ck it up and be grateful for 'small' mercies...............

Edited by BarbTherese

On 10/10/2015 at 9:47 PM, Gabriela said:

@dUSt: Is this too trivial a concern to bother you with? It's driving a lot of people crazy. It's pushing new threads down. The phorum is getting awfully boring because of it. Is it possible to auto-lock all threads older than a year or 18 months or something old (i.e., that haven't been posted in in over a year, 18 months, whatever)?

Are there “a lot” of people even around anymore?