An Old School Catholic Message Board

@dUSt: Can We Do Something about the Lazarusing?

Gabriela

How would I know if I become a real troll?

And why wouldn't people just ignore the old threads and move on?

That usually what my kids do when they see me. If they can do it why can't you?

Oh and one last thing - there seems to be genuine support for the practice.   Not everyone is against it or angry over it.  

So what is the opposite of a troll?

I certainly don't get what all the fuss is about either, so put me in the troll list with Didacus. It seems to me that it concerns some people more than others and maybe they should just chill a little. Some of us are actually enjoying the blast from the past and being stimulated to respond to things that were discussed years ago. I joined in 2007 so I like reminiscing about some of the older posters and the old threads. Maybe having a separate forum for old threads would work, but it doesn't seem fair to try to stop posting of all old threads when some of us are enjoying them!!!

:o

They'll probably ban the boneyard once it gets more popular than the rest of the forums...

veritasluxmea

How would I know if I become a real troll? 

I certainly don't get what all the fuss is about either, so put me in the troll list with Didacus. 

A troll isn't someone who doesn't understand something. A real troll is someone who purposely posts messages or does a behavior that it inappropriate/against forum rules/annoying/harassing to purposely try and get a reaction out of people, with the intention of doing so. Some people aren't "real" trolls because they don't understand what they're doing is something annoying/wrong. It can still be annoying/wrong- but they don't purposely mean it to be received that way. So you could say their behavior or messages are "trollish" or troll-like, but they aren't genuinely trolling. 

Some of us are actually enjoying the blast from the past and being stimulated to respond to things that were discussed years ago. I joined in 2007 so I like reminiscing about some of the older posters and the old threads. Maybe having a separate forum for old threads would work, but it doesn't seem fair to try to stop posting of all old threads when some of us are enjoying them!!!

:o

Yeah, that's reasonable enough. 

And why wouldn't people just ignore the old threads and move on?

We can't just ignore them, because they're cluttering up the entire Open Mic. Every time I see a thread that looks interesting, I click into it and realize it's from 2003 and it smells of elderberries. The internet is "news-oriented". It demands relevance. We don't want to click through pages and pages of stuff over a decade old to get to the new contributions. It's exhausting and frustrating and we can't possibly just ignore it because it's over 50% of the threads in the Open Mic right now. You're pushing out the new stuff that people want to talk about.

It doesn't have to annoy everyone for it to be really inconsiderate. Enough people have told you it bothers them that it's just really rude at this point. I'll be happy if dUSt opens a Boneyard for you, but right now, enough already. Have some courtesy.

AccountDeleted

Well, we are not trolls then because it is not against the rules to post old threads again. I don't know Didacus' motivation but I actually enjoy them. Maybe he does too. Why does it bother you so much to see some people enjoying themselves? Or or you just bothered by old threads in general? 

veritasluxmea

Well, we are not trolls then because it is not against the rules to post old threads again.

Nooooooo, it's just really annoying and considered inconsiderate by several people. It's a courtesy rule. I feel like it's changing phatmass' vibe but that doesn't bother me because I don't need to spend much time here, but I can see how that is annoying to people. 

Why does it bother you so much to see some people enjoying themselves? Or or you just bothered by old threads in general? 

Read Gabriela's OP and most recent response. It's not about being bothered people are enjoying themselves. I think it's fine that you enjoy them and it's good that you vocalized that- but most people just don't feel the same way. 

AccountDeleted

Nooooooo, it's just really annoying and considered inconsiderate by several people. It's a courtesy rule. I feel like it's changing phatmass' vibe but that doesn't bother me because I don't need to spend much time here, but I can see how that is annoying to people. 

Read Gabriela's OP and most recent response. It's not about being bothered people are enjoying themselves. I think it's fine that you enjoy them and it's good that you vocalized that- but most people just don't feel the same way. 

Then I really think that the suggestion to have a dedicated forum to these threads should be arranged because they can be fun for some of us.

I just find it slightly annoying because even if it was a good thread and a good discussion you can't respond to anyone because most of the posters have left. This is supposed to be a discussion board. I want to discuss things, stupid things even, with people who are still here. If didacus really wants to discuss something it's much easier to start a thread posed to people who still frequent phatmass but seeing as he's not going that he's just trying to be annoying and/or get attention which is silly for an ostensibly adult human to be doing.

And now that he's gotten so much attention for it, which is precisely what he wanted, he's probably just tickled with himself. So good job Diddy! mission accomplished

AccountDeleted

I just find it slightly annoying because even if it was a good thread and a good discussion you can't respond to anyone because most of the posters have left. This is supposed to be a discussion board. I want to discuss things, stupid things even, with people who are still here. If didacus really wants to discuss something it's much easier to start a thread posed to people who still frequent phatmass but seeing as he's not going that he's just trying to be annoying and/or get attention which is silly for an ostensibly adult human to be doing.

And now that he's gotten so much attention for it, which is precisely what he wanted, he's probably just tickled with himself. So good job Diddy! mission accomplished

I_N -- I usually agree with you on most things but I think you are being a bit harsh here. If he wants attention, then what's wrong with giving it to him. this place can be boring sometimes, and he has stirred up a controversy and caused some of us to be nostalgic about phatmass 'in the days'. I wasn't around in 2003-2006 but I was from 2007, and I like reading the way some questions were asked and the discussions they evoked. I may be the only one who supports Didacus in this, but he has made phatmass a much more interesting place for me. Sometimes all the heavy debates about politics and economics go on and on and on and on ad infinitum and apart from the Lame Board, there isn't a lot of fun around here any more. So what if the old posters aren't here? We can discuss their posts together ourselves and see how we feel about things. And some of them may have even changed their opinions over the years - I know I have - from some of my old posts.

Just because a person wants attention, doesn't mean that's a reason not to give it. It doesn't hurt any of us, and it might make him feel good. what's the harm in that? If people don't want to give attention, then they shouldn't get all hot and bothered over the old posts and blow this whole thing up into astronomical proportions.

For pity's sake, lighten up everyone!

I've posted in Phatmass pretty much since year one.  I'll give you a little insight on dUSt's philosophy.  

He is NOT going to micromanage. 

He is NOT going to make a bunch of specific rules. 

He expects people will be relatively polite and respectful, but welcomes a broad range of of personality. 

The original Lame Board was created so people can post with generally annoying behavior and immaturity, whether it's chronic butt hat or just ingrained goofyness. 

dUSt hopes that posters respect themselves, each other, dUSt, and Phatmass. Please keep in mind dUSt established and maintains this website as a personal work of charity to improve is spiritual life.

He has family and friends that visit and he hopes this place builds up their faith as well as yours.  

Keep in mind that what you post is read by others moms, dads, priests, nuns, siblings, children, students in CCD that are known in analog life.  

The absence of rules does not imply permission. 

Try to be holy, happy, funny, serious, silly, respectful, kind, and Catholic.  

AccountDeleted

I've posted in Phatmass pretty much since year one.  I'll give you a little insight on dUSt's philosophy.  

He is NOT going to micromanage. 

He is NOT going to make a bunch of specific rules. 

He expects people will be relatively polite and respectful, but welcomes a broad range of of personality. 

The original Lame Board was created so people can post with generally annoying behavior and immaturity, whether it's chronic butt hat or just ingrained goofyness. 

dUSt hopes that posters respect themselves, each other, dUSt, and Phatmass. Please keep in mind dUSt established and maintains this website as a personal work of charity to improve is spiritual life.

He has family and friends that visit and he hopes this place builds up their faith as well as yours.  

Keep in mind that what you post is read by others moms, dads, priests, nuns, siblings, children, students in CCD that are known in analog life.  

The absence of rules does not imply permission. 

Try to be holy, happy, funny, serious, silly, respectful, kind, and Catholic.  

That's all great but there is nothing in resurrecting old threads that is disrespectful or contrary to charity or Catholic teaching, especially for those of us who are enjoying the old posts. I joined the year after you by the way, unless you changed your user name somewhere along the way. Posting responses to old threads wasn't such a big deal in 2007. We did it, we moved on.

That's all great but there is nothing in resurrecting old threads that is disrespectful or contrary to charity or Catholic teaching, especially for those of us who are enjoying the old posts. I joined the year after you by the way, unless you changed your user name somewhere along the way. Posting responses to old threads wasn't such a big deal in 2007. We did it, we moved on.

I posted as jasJis while I was still Catholic, starting back in 2000.  

Like I said, there is not likely going to be a rule or lock down on old threads. If ressurecting one to comment and make it relative to current posters, why not?

If just doing so to annoy or prove you can or make it your "thing", please be polite enough to recognize if it legitimately annoys others and do it in the lame board if for humor, annoyance, or its just what you like to do.  

Its uncharitable to insist on doing so on open mic if others reasonably find it annoying.  I don't imagine you're a kid, so you certainly can understand and agree with that as being fair enough and accommodating for everyone.  

Edited by Anomaly

AccountDeleted

Its uncharitable to insist on doing so if others reasonably find it annoying.  I don't imagine you're a kid, so you certainly can understand and agree with that as being fair enough and accommodating for everyone.  

If your correction is directed at me, then you are in error. I have not resurrected any old threads. I have only stated that I have enjoyed reading the old ones that have been resurrected by others and this is purely a matter of opinion, to which I am entitled. I am certainly not 'a kid' but how incredibly offensive and arrogant for you to even post such a thing. I neither understand nor agree with you because you didn't even bother to read through this thread before responding, so you made several assumptions about me that were wrong. Bad form, trying to correct someone else while being offensive yourself. 

I think to continue to do something that people have expressed their annoyance with is a jerky thing to do, but I don't expect action from up top.

It would be nice if he would stop but we (myself included) will just have to deal with it if he doesn't.

@nunsense, about none of the resurrected threads I've seen have lead to an actual discussion. People are allowed to be annoyed, and Diddy is free to flout all forms of etiquette and continue to do what people find grating. Yay freedom.