An Old School Catholic Message Board

Happy Thanksgiving!

Not The Philosopher

Spending an autumn in Canada some years ago as a student, I was lucky to celebrate two Thanksgivings: Canadian Thanksgiving in October, and American Thanksgiving with some other expats in November. Although, that is nothing to compare to the time that I lived down the road from a church which hosted a Russian Catholic community. That year, I was graced enough to be able to celebrate Easter twice: Roman Easter, and a week later Russian Easter.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

Now what exactly are you Canadians thankful for?

:P

Not being American, apparently.

Not being American, apparently.

According to wikipedia, Canadians have always cooked up a different reason to be thankful every time it's celebrated. But the official proclamation was: "On January 31, 1957, a proclamation was issued stating Thanksgiving was to be "A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed."

And you're actually pretty dead on with this assessment - I've been in countless class and seminars where we've tried to figure out what it means to be Canadian - and the answer, invariably is, "we're not American". According to the historical geographer Cole Harris, this vagueness of identity is actually a strength of Canadian cultural identity. 

So, today, I'm thankful for being Catholic and for being Canadian.

Go eat some pumpkin pie!

but y'all live in North America...so technically...y'all are Americans... :P

Also another thing which makes us different.  Canadians say "American" and think only U.S.  

According to wikipedia, Canadians have always cooked up a different reason to be thankful every time it's celebrated. But the official proclamation was: "On January 31, 1957, a proclamation was issued stating Thanksgiving was to be "A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed."

And you're actually pretty dead on with this assessment - I've been in countless class and seminars where we've tried to figure out what it means to be Canadian - and the answer, invariably is, "we're not American". According to the historical geographer Cole Harris, this vagueness of identity is actually a strength of Canadian cultural identity. 

So, today, I'm thankful for being Catholic and for being Canadian.

Go eat some pumpkin pie!

I went to St. John the Evangelist a couple years ago on Thanksgiving Sunday, and it was actually a feast day on their calendar called Harvest Thanksgiving. I thought that was neat.

I went to St. John the Evangelist a couple years ago on Thanksgiving Sunday, and it was actually a feast day on their calendar called Harvest Thanksgiving. I thought that was neat.

That is neat - I'm not sure if there's something equivalent in the EF. But I guess you could have a votive thanksgiving Mass. 

We normally feed 30-40 on thanksgiving. I'll spend today cooking turkeys. 

Well heck then let me come over. One more person won't make a difference!