An Old School Catholic Message Board

Goody bags for the homeless.

dUSt

I'm thinking about filling a few gallon sized ziplock bags with the following things:

- new socks

- bottle of water

- granola bar

- peanut butter crackers

- phatmass tshirt

- tylenol

- rosary

- rosary pamphlet

- divine mercy pamphlet

Then, I keep them in the car and give them to people I see that might appreciate them.

Thoughts? Negatives? Positives?

How about a card with the number and address of the best Catholic homeless shelter or the homeless outreach social worker at CSS?   I give those free coffee at McDonald's coupons. I won't give them money because that just allows them to stay on the street another night when we need them to go to somewhere they can actually get help. 

I think it's a great idea. I have made winter care packages for homeless people before and the staples were woolly hats, thermal socks, and gloves. I don't know what the climate is like where you live, but if you get cold or rainy weather in the autumn I would think about distributing warm gloves, a warm hat, one of those plastic rain ponchos or maybe a small umbrella, and a pocket flashlight. Deodorant and shower gel are also appreciated, I find. Rather than preparing the bags yourself you could even show the homeless people the items and ask which ones they need, but if you aren't able to do that, I think a balance between high-energy snack food, toiletries, and practical clothing is important. The rosary is a good idea and the PM shirt is a nice touch, but I wouldn't choose one that's too explicitly Catholic in case it makes a non-Catholic homeless person feel awkward about wearing it.

Great idea!

I don't think many homeless people would object about the shirt...but then, some might. Not sure about the tylenol though...

Edited by Seven77

Oremus Pro Invicem

I would be careful with the food and over the counter drugs.  It's a great gesture but there are food and drug allergies that are not being taken into account.  Also if you're going to hand out cloths and blankets I would make sure they're hypoallergenic.  In this day in age people can sue you for anything even when what you're doing is a nice deed.  These realities are also why I would recommend @CatherineM's advice. 

Edited by Oremus Pro Invicem

A Phatmass t-shirt? Are you going to give them laptops, too?

Srsly, dude: I think this is great. Brownie points in Heaven for you.

I've worked with the homeless for over 30 years. Those with serious allergies wouldn't survive 6 months. Sleeping rough destroys the body of even the youngest and fittest. Sepsis, MRSA, gangrene, pneumonia, you name it, and they get it. 

I'm thinking about filling a few gallon sized ziplock bags with the following things:

- new socks

- bottle of water

- granola bar

- peanut butter crackers

- phatmass tshirt

- tylenol

- rosary

- rosary pamphlet

- divine mercy pamphlet

Then, I keep them in the car and give them to people I see that might appreciate them.

I think that's a great idea!!!

I might even copy it and have our family do this as well!

PhuturePriest

One Priest I know takes Subway gift cards with him, and he gives them to homeless people and directs them to the nearest Subway.

I used to work at a shelter and we'd make little care packets like this to give out.  People always appreciated bus passes and if you can find them those toothbrushes that come wrapped up with the toothpaste already on them.  CatherineM's idea for the coffee cards is a great one because it gives the person a reason to go inside and warm up that is not considered loitering.

- new socks

- bottle of water

- granola bar

- peanut butter crackers

- phatmass tshirt

- tylenol

- rosary

- rosary pamphlet

- divine mercy pamphlet

Just a thought...

Could we do this as Phatmass?  Maybe forward cash or supplies to dUSt for him to make?

iono... just a thought....would be nice to do something good together with all you peeps. 

but then, i'm just a hippie....

Edited by jcorsetti

Amen to that. Especially this part:

If you want to REALLY help the poor, go buy a pen and paper and write to your representatives. Stop blaming “generational welfare users” for being “leeches on the system.” Tell them you want to see real aid going to people in your community. Tell them to fund the mental health system, which is inadequate for the demand and constantly getting slashed. Tell them you don’t want to see food stamps cut for bad grades! Tell them a stitch in time saves nine, and if they helped people who were losing their homes, maybe there wouldn’t be so many homeless. Tell them to decriminalize drug use and prostitution. Tell them to support programs like Insite. Support universal healthcare, because you’d be surprised how many people end up homeless due to illness, either in themselves or a family member. If you’re ever in a position of power, such as a landlord or employer, don’t discriminate against people who don’t have a current address. Also don’t discriminate against marginalized groups by race, gender, orientation, ability, etc. These people are more likely to end up homeless because of this BS. Check out charities in your area doing actual outreach with the poor, many of whom are not beggars and not visible. And if you’re going to give a beggar something, either ask them what they need or just give them flooping money.

Dont get me wrong, I think these gift bags are a great idea! But they dont solve the problem. And I more or less lean on the side that these packages do more for the giver than the receiver. But no one said (and I am not assuming) that people giving out goody bags are also not supporting legislature that can really help these people. Im sure a ton of people are doing both! (I hope)