An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is it a sin to read a book on numerology?

Anastasia13

Is it a sin to read a book on numerology or would it be more in the range of believing that that stuff determines your future that is the sin?

I know people who are into that stuff and I know almost nothing about it. It might be interesting to see how names add up, but I don't see changing my name according to a book like that.

Not a sin to read it, but to believe in it enough to change your name is a no no. There is some numerology in Revelation, so obviously there's no sin in reading that. 

MarysLittleFlower

Some numbers in the Bible have symbolic significance like 7 or 3, because they refer to something of that number. Some Church Fathers perhaps spoke of that. But I don't think the Church wants us to think about predicting our future etc. Numbers are more symbolic because of things they refer to. A book that treats of numbers in a superstitious kind of way could lead to confusion and I wouldn't read it. :) One example is adding your birth date to get a "number of destiny": that would be trying to predict the future or deciding peoples "fate" which isn't Catholic either. We don't have "fate", we have God's Will that we are free to accept or not, and our choices affect the future.