An Old School Catholic Message Board

NO SOUP FOR YOU !

superblue

http://news.yahoo.com/archbishop-orders-priests-to-deny-communion-to-191936980.html

In a memo sent to priests in his archdiocese this week, Archbishop John Myers of Newark issued strict guidelines for denying Communion to Catholics whose marriages are not recognized as valid by the church, and prohibiting the sacrament to those who support same-sex civil marriage. Parishes and other Catholic institutions, the archbishop decreed, should never host individuals or organizations that disagree with church teachings. * exactly how does Archbishop Myers of Newark plan to let those catholics in the democrat party of his diocese that this applies to them as well considering their party supports abortion *

This is precisely the kind of fortress Catholicism — a church hunkered down behind imposing walls — that Pope Francis vigorously rejects.

Instead, the pope wants a church that acts like a “field hospital after battle.“ He insists that Communion is not “a prize for the perfect but powerful medicine and nourishment for the weak.” While the New Jersey archbishop sends a message that he is putting Catholic institutions on lockdown, Pope Francis recently welcomed Democratic U.S. mayors, including Bill de Blasio of New York City, and the pro-choice secular feminist Naomi Klein, to the Vatican for climate change talks. No one was carded at the door.

*   well either the Pope is suggesting that now anyone may receive Holy Communion , or he means those that are practicing Catholics and make mistakes and go to reconciliation can receive , or more than likely the context is once again twisted to some extent.  Though it would have been nice to see this archbishop respond to comments made by the Pope recently *

I posted this mainly because this was to a point talked about already on here, who can and who shouldn't receive Communion, and basically how to stop people from walking out the door of Church with out properly consuming the Eucharist and then it came down to no one can really check such a thing on who can an can't receive and no one can check your pockets our mouth to make sure you aint doing anything ya aint supposed to do with the Eucharist.

So it seemed to me this article had some place here worth at least briefly mentioning.

Either this Archbishop or someone he appointed spent a lot of time an energy coming up with this strict guideline, the problem though i bet that was not addressed was how does the priest determine who fits in those guidelines, and how is it to be done, since we don't card at the door as mentioned above.

veritasluxmea

Seems pretty simple to me. If you are so openly in support of gay marriage to the point where everyone in the parish, including the priest, knows, you should be at least approached in private to be asked not to cause scandal or not receive. Nancy Pelosi comes to mind. The Bishop seems to only to be talking about public cases like that. If you struggle with something and it's not out in the open, no problem. I've certainly had my issues which I kept private and kept receiving. 

Making receiving on the tongue the norm again pretty much solves the problem of people walking off with the Eucharist. 

dominicansoul

why does the media feel like they have to speak on behalf of Pope Francis?  Pope Francis would not want anyone in the state of mortal sin to receive Jesus!  smh

This letter says nothing that should surprise anyone. Surprising only because the Church in the US is weak and full of cowards who do not dare offend people. He probably spent little time 'coming up with' these guidelines, because it is merely the same things we have been saying for as long as we had to make explicit which people must not receive Communion.

Well, except for that little mistake in paragraph 1. "Catholics must be in a marriage recognized as valid by the Church to receive Holy Communion or other sacraments." Whoops! :hehe: 

KnightofChrist

There is talk in the Synod of giving the decision over to Bishops or Bishop Conferences. Which is pretty much what we have now with pro-abort Catholics. It's up to the local bishops to choose to protect the Blessed Sacrament. 

why does the media feel like they have to speak on behalf of Pope Francis?  Pope Francis would not want anyone in the state of mortal sin to receive Jesus!  smh

tumblr_ni4lozki2I1tm8o5vo1_250.gif

LOL, I just may think that everytime the secular media talks about Pope Francis, since they don't get him.

Edited by tinytherese

You know, the Christian life isn't supposed to be easy. And compared to times past we are really babied and the Church has made it easy for us to uphold the tenets of the Church in many respects (compare the fasting regulations of the 1800's to today, pretty sure I would keel over and die).

So when people whine about how it should be "easier" to receive communion, I just don't have patience for that. I get that some, or maybe most, people have bigger struggles than I, but trying to life the Christian life is not easy. I know this first hand because I usually smell of elderberries at it. I'm sure most of you do too, having seen many of you post here for quite some time.

Can't people just stop demanding the church lower herself just so we can feel like we aren't horrible? What is Catholicism without guilt?

I hate people . . .

i just find it odd to even debate things like this anymore, from what I.N was saying bout the 1800s n such, had way more moral standing in society and that the Church had such an impact on peoples lives that these issues where not even issues because i suppose respect , an honor were words that actually meant something during that time period. 

Fast forward to today, and the Church has to compete for people in so many ways, honor an respect are vague words, along with morals, being able to pick and chose what fits ones life and when.  To then have to even discuss about who can now receive Holy Communion , when people  in the church can not even come to an agreement on how Holy Communion should be received let alone agree on why it is important to receive one way versus another. But to think that there is a fathomable way to even remotely judge who is worthy to receive or not i find ridiculous; not that it isn't good to define it on paper, but to think that there is a good way to prevent people in a state of sin in any sense of the term from receiving is about as ridiculous to think that receiving by mouth only will prevent someone from running out of the church with the host in their mouth, remove the host from his or her mouth and then do something horrible. Also IF this particular archbishop wants to go down this road, then he has to follow his own logic of thinking behind it and thus refuse anyone Holy Communion who has not been to reconciliation first.  An then develop a way of proving that everyone is good to go to receive .

Then if you want a better opinion on the matter,  bring this topic to a priest or deacon you may know, for the sake of a conversation and or wanting an opinion from an actual clergy.  You might find yourself surprised at the answer,  I know I have been surprised by the responses of the priests in my community on this subject of denying Holy Communion.

Also, it is Bishops like these who irk me to no end, people go on an on an on about how the Holy Spirit is either some how choosing or influencing men like these to become bishops and in turn some how men like him end up in the Vatican , to in turn end up in the circle of those who can vote for the pope to then being the ones who are now in some kind of conspiracy to get a pope elected and end up working against the pope.  If this is how the Holy Spirit is working to get things done, he either has a great sense of humor , or  the very poor decisions made by people are some how stronger than the influence that the Holy Spirit wants to bestow upon us.

Edited by superblue

http://news.yahoo.com/archbishop-orders-priests-to-deny-communion-to-191936980.html

I posted this mainly because this was to a point talked about already on here, who can and who shouldn't receive Communion, and basically how to stop people from walking out the door of Church with out properly consuming the Eucharist and then it came down to no one can really check such a thing on who can an can't receive and no one can check your pockets our mouth to make sure you aint doing anything ya aint supposed to do with the Eucharist.

So it seemed to me this article had some place here worth at least briefly mentioning.

Either this Archbishop or someone he appointed spent a lot of time an energy coming up with this strict guideline, the problem though i bet that was not addressed was how does the priest determine who fits in those guidelines, and how is it to be done, since we don't card at the door as mentioned above.

Yet another woefully (and probably willfully) ignorant article by a media hack spinning another yarn of "That Wonderful Progressive Pope Francis vs. Those Horrible Conservative Catholics."

The rules on who can and can't receive Holy Communion have not changed.  And being a member of the Catholic Church and in a state of grace does not equate to being "perfect."  No one is perfect but God.

And whom the Pope invites to talk about "climate change" (or anything else) is completely irrelevant as to who is in communion with the Church, and able to receive the Eucharist worthily.  The Pope can talk to whomever he likes - that has nothing to do with receiving Communion.  (I'm no fan of this current Pope's politics, but that's beside the point.)  Sheesh.

Oddly enough I am not really a fan of any Pope, or rather I don't have one i feel that i can relate to....  An more an more i come to see the Vatican itself as merely a political sphere alone versus what might some see as the Catholic Headquarters of both spiritual an political direction for the world.

I have learned though that the Papacy does hold weight with the international political sphere, which I find amazing and for that matter the world.  Rome has no powerful military what so ever, at best enough armed forces to protect the Pope himself. Yet through out history the Papacy has tackled all sorts of political regimes and giants.

I am still reflecting on why i feel such a detachment from the Papacy in general.  An marvel how others are simply enthralled and love to read encyclicals and etc.