An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vertical Churches

dUSt

IgnatiusofLoyola

These pictures are amazing! I love beautiful churches. I know that, in theory, the beauty and atmosphere of a church or cathedral shouldn't matter since the important thing about a church is that Christ is there--but beauty in a church does move me. 

The person who compiled these pictures left out one of my favorites, King's College Chapel, at King's College Cambridge, UK. The chapel has one of the most gorgeous vaulted ceilings I've ever seen. 

Since I can't post a picture that is similar to the one's above, below is a link to a 3D virtual tour of the chapel, which will allow the same views. The chapel is not as colorful as some of the other chapels, but the artistry that went into creating the chapel, particularly the vaulted ceiling, is something that could not be recreated today.

BTW--Building of the King's College Chapel was begun in 1441 under a Catholic king, King Henry VI, but was not finished until roughly 100 years later, in the reign of King Henry VIII, who started the Anglican church.

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/chapel/virtual-tour/index.html

A couple of them really remind me of boats, as in the Church is a ship.

I know that for some, such as the Martyrs Shrine In Midland, that was done intentionally so.  In the Shrine's case its not just boat but a canoe obviously for the history of the area but for more.  IIRC the explanation back in the days of canoe travel if one was out and a bad storm came one could take shelter and refuge under their canoe, much like the Church. :)

MSInt.jpg

I know that for some, such as the Martyrs Shrine In Midland, that was done intentionally so.  In the Shrine's case its not just boat but a canoe obviously for the history of the area but for more.  IIRC the explanation back in the days of canoe travel if one was out and a bad storm came one could take shelter and refuge under their canoe, much like the Church. :)

MSInt.jpg

I think it goes back quite a way, the church as a ship is a traditional imagery.  I know it played a major image in the visions of St. John Bosco.  I keep meaning to go to Midlands - and I will concede, this is an appropriate usage of inculturation. I've actually never seen a picture of the church - I usually only see the half-skull of Brebeuf. 

Amazing ! I was looking for a birthday presents for my father (he like pretty church), and I'm considering buying one of the pictures. 

Ignatius, it's soooo beautifull. I have some CD on King College Choir. John Rutter writes a lot for them.