An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can one receive the Anointing of the Sick for mental illness or addiction?

Michael Carlisle III

Michael Carlisle III

I have moderate depression, mild OCD, and suffer from an addiction/compulsion. The pastor of my previous parish suggested I receive the Anointing of the Sick for this and administered it himself. I was uncertain if this is correct, or if I should continue to periodically receive the sacrament. 

Absolutely. It's not just allowed but encouraged. My husband has schizophrenia and has it done once a year. It's not done with the idea of curing his illness, although that would be excellent, but rather to give him the spiritual strength to endure a chronic illness. 

The reason the sacrament is routinely administered to those with chronic illnesses and mental illnesses is that there is a danger of death. As an example, those with diabetes are at a much higher risk of heart attack or sudden complications due to their illness. Those with mental illness are at a high risk of suicide. As an example again, 10% of those with schizophrenia are dead within 10 years of diagnosis, mostly by suicide. 40% attempt suicide. 

Anyone who has worked in pastoral ministry will tell you that priests routinely confer the sacrament on those preparing for surgery, even routine surgery. I have had the sacrament many times in my life. Before each of my ankle and knee surgeries, when I had a nose bleed that put me in the hospital for three days, when they thought I had a heart attack, when I had a bad infection and they thought they might have to cut some of my leg off, and when I was stabbed, thrown down some stairs, and strangled. Of those times, I really only felt in imminent danger of dying on the last one. I didn't request the sacrament any of the times I received it, my priest and once my bishop, came to see me and offered. When I almost died, he just came in and did it without discussing it with me  

We have made a lot of effort to change people's views of this sacrament. We try very hard to no longer call it last rights, but rather to call it the anointing of the sick. There's a reason for that. I could have cut and pasted catechism, or canon law for you, but chose not to because there is more to the study of canon law than that. In my former career as an attorney, I met many people who thought they knew the law because they had read it in a book without undertaking a proper study of the law which includes not only the law, but also previous court decisions on either side of an issue.

The proper study of canon law includes not only the current canon, but also canonical decisions on either side of issues and a variety of pastoral letters, theological research, and local practices to interpret the canons involved. It is only human nature to want to look at only pronouncements or decisions that support your mind set, but the law requires a broader investigation with an impartial view. 

I gave you my opinion based on 30 years experience in pastoral ministry, formal study of theology and canon law, and personal experience. However, I highly recommend you speak to your priest about this. He should know about your health struggles even if he decides you do not meet the threshold for receiving the sacrament. I have given lectures at the seminary to lay formation students and seminarians on the pastoral care of the mentally ill at the request of the Dean of Students of Lay Formation and the Head of Formation for the Seminary that trains most of the priests for Western Canada. They obviously think I know something about the subject. 

According to the Code of Canon Law:

CHAPTER III.

THOSE ON WHOM THE ANOINTING OF THE SICK IS TO BE CONFERRED

Can.  1004 §1. The anointing of the sick can be administered to a member of the faithful who, having reached the use of reason, begins to be in danger due to sickness or old age.

§2. This sacrament can be repeated if the sick person, having recovered, again becomes gravely ill or if the condition becomes more grave during the same illness.

Can.  1005 This sacrament is to be administered in a case of doubt whether the sick person has attained the use of reason, is dangerously ill, or is dead.

Can.  1006 This sacrament is to be conferred on the sick who at least implicitly requested it when they were in control of their faculties.

Can.  1007 The anointing of the sick is not to be conferred upon those who persevere obstinately in manifest grave sin.

Basically, you can receive the sacrament licitly in danger of death. It should be repeated licitly if the anointed person recovers, then again comes to be in danger of death.