An Old School Catholic Message Board

Remnant video on the Synod

Ancilla Domini

Basilisa Marie

I think a phishy tag is a little overboard. I'm not exactly a Remnant fanboy, but this seems a little extreme. A lot of people are really worried about the conclusion of the Synod (though admittedly I am not one of them,) and I don't think expressing that merits a phishy tag.

What do you think "poisonous wells of the new mass" means? It's a pretty clear condemnation of the NO, which is not kosher here. 

What do you think "poisonous wells of the new mass" means? It's a pretty clear condemnation of the NO, which is not kosher here. 

I do not think it is necessarily reasonable to hold Ancilla to every single word of the video, just because she said she agreed with it in general. I mean, she even said herself that she did not agree 100% with what Mr. Matt was saying.

For example, I have mentioned before having watched some videos of the late Fr. Gregory Hesse. I agree with some of what he says. (Have not watched enough to say if I agree with most, or only a little. All I know is I agree with some.) There might even be videos hanging around out there where I would be comfortable saying "I agree with this video." But without qualifying what that means, I certainly would not want to be held to some of his more extreme viewpoints. Like his argument that the FSSP are not truly Catholic because they do not formally condemn the Second Vatican Council. :hehe: 

Personally I think it is more reasonable to presume that even when Ancilla says she agrees with the video, she would not necessarily want to hold herself to those more extreme views that you and Dust object to. If it is an issue, I think rather than giving her a phishy tag right away, she should be offered an opportunity to clarify her beliefs in a way that Dust finds satisfactory.

Not The Philosopher

Personally I think it is more reasonable to presume that even when Ancilla says she agrees with the video, she would not necessarily want to hold herself to those more extreme views that you and Dust object to. If it is an issue, I think rather than giving her a phishy tag right away, she should be offered an opportunity to clarify her beliefs in a way that Dust finds satisfactory.

Seems wise. Doesn't the CDF allow notified theologians the opportunity to clarify/correct themselves before bringing down the hammer?

Seems wise. Doesn't the CDF allow notified theologians the opportunity to clarify/correct themselves before bringing down the hammer?

Certainly. It is a necessary element of natural justice. A person's heresy cannot even be properly classified as formal without first giving him the opportunity to recant.

Okay, sure, but Ancilla didn't exactly clarify in a way that they don't agree with everything in it. 

She did say "I agree with the Catholic Church", which in the past has even been enough for Dust to give someone a Church Militant tag who had been previously marked as phishy. I just think Ancilla deserves the benefit of the doubt.

She did say "I agree with the Catholic Church", which in the past has even been enough for Dust to give someone a Church Militant tag who had been previously marked as phishy. I just think Ancilla deserves the benefit of the doubt.

^ This.

^ This.

Any time you agree with me I want to immediately change my opinion. I will resist the urge for Ancilla's sake.

She said:

I would recommend watching the whole thing.

I said:

Do you agree with this guy? Posting a video with no commentary implies that you are endorsing it.

She said:

...I agree with all the points he's making.

So there's that.

She said:

I said:

She said:

So there's that.

I am inclined to interpret that as her agreeing with the main point of the video, i.e. that the Synod stuff is pretty bad and we need to be aware, etc.. The thing about the Novus Ordo seemed like an ancillary point that I would not necessarily expect to be considered as the main thrust of the video.

Basically, again, I think we should give her the benefit of the doubt, and allow her to clarify to your satisfaction.

I would love it if she told me to delete the video because it's trash, shows a complete and utter lack of respect for the pope and magisterium, and does absolutely nothing to build up and glorify Christ's church. That would definitely remove the Phishy tag.

Ancilla Domini

I would love it if she told me to delete the video because it's trash, shows a complete and utter lack of respect for the pope and magisterium, and does absolutely nothing to build up and glorify Christ's church. That would definitely remove the Phishy tag.

I can't do that, I'm sorry. I would rather have a "phishy tag" on phatmass than know that I retracted views I embrace for the sake of an online title.

Also, for the record, I believe the Novus Ordo is valid. I do not attend it, but it is valid.

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Also, for the record, I believe the Novus Ordo is valid. I do not attend it, but it is valid.

I know people who criticize the pope and cardinals for their teachings about abortion who also believe the Novus Ordo is valid.

The "Phishy" tag is not a trad tag. It's an I do not represent the Church tag.

Ancilla Domini

I know people who criticize the pope and cardinals for their teachings about abortion who also believe the Novus Ordo is valid.

I said that about the NO because that was one of the points that was brought up against me.

I didn't know I had to go through a list of all the Church teachings and assure people I believed in them.

Ancilla Domini

I didn't know I had to go through a list of all the Church teachings and assure people I believed in them.

That sounds a bit saucy, sorry. I tried to edit it a bit, but it was too late. Mea culpa! :oops: