An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sister Competing on the Food Network

HopefulHeart

One of the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist will be competing on the Food Network show Chopped! It will air on November 9 at 8:00 pm EST.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/pursuedbytruth/2015/10/religious-sister-to-appear-on-food-networks-chopped.html

Though I enjoy watching Chopped on the Food Network website, I don't have cable, so I unfortunately won't be able to see the episode when it airs. I hope Sister does well! :) 

Gabriela, you may want to check; some of the Food Network programs are streamed free of charge on the network's website. Maybe someone can remember to post a link after the show airs? I will try, but can't promise to remember....

Sr Mary Catharine OP

We were invited to be on Chopped but the extern sisters didn't want to even though they are both great cooks! 

We were invited to be on Chopped but the extern sisters didn't want to even though they are both great cooks! 

That show is sooooo stressful.  I don't know how they do it! 

There was a pretty good sized article about Sr. Alicia in the Chicago Tribune today.  She, of course, can't divulge the outcome of this taped show.  Her comments indicated she was pretty confident about the competition and cites baking as one of her strong suits.

I am not a big fan of watching someone cook on tv, but it might open some eyes to some people that did not know this.  I do hope that the sister does well.

Edited by elizabeth09

I am not a big fan of watching someone cook on tv, but it might open some eyes to some people that did not know this.  I do hope that the sister does well.

Watching someone else cook on tv is so much better than having to do it yourself.

;) 

What's even better is watching someone else cook right in front of you.  You can offer token help like cutting vegetables, etc., but you get none of the stress.  Then you get to smell it.  Then you get to eat it.  Then you get to thank the cook personally.  Then you get to be thanked in return for your token help.  Then you might even get to keep the leftovers and microwave them the next day, and perhaps, depending on the dish and out of the view of the cook, add extra helpings of honey.

Spem in alium

What's even better is watching someone else cook right in front of you.  You can offer token help like cutting vegetables, etc., but you get none of the stress.  Then you get to smell it.  Then you get to eat it.  Then you get to thank the cook personally.  Then you get to be thanked in return for your token help.  Then you might even get to keep the leftovers and microwave them the next day, and perhaps, depending on the dish and out of the view of the cook, add extra helpings of honey.

I sense you've thought this one through. ;) 

Indeed. And now I'm curious: How many of us want to be nuns just so someone else will cook for us for the rest of our lives?

:P 

Ive searched my tv listings to set the pvr and it seems it may be aired on a different date here in Canada.  Id ask anyone who does watch  please no spoilers!

Indeed. And now I'm curious: How many of us want to be nuns just so someone else will cook for us for the rest of our lives?

:P 

Where Ive applied every able bodied Sister has to take her turn in the kitchen.  Even when I visited they decided it would be a good idea to throw me in the kitchen alone and test my baking skills.  Luckily I can bake and it was the world's easiest apple cake I had to make but still Ive never had nuns judge my cooking before!

Spem in alium

In my community, all of us (except one Sister who is in our aged care, and another who works a lot in the church) take turns at cooking. Most of us have a day of the week when we cook, except Saturdays, and Sundays we cook in rotation.