An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pastimes For Stranded Novices

marigold

No useful suggestions for the high and dry novice, I fear, but buckets of prayers and good wishes for you as you join your community.  Hope it all works out for you and that you let us know when you enter so we can keep you in our prayers.  Good luck!

Thank you! I already entered on the down low, and am just back for a while to render unto Caesar.

My first SD used to say: "Make your home a monastery." By which he meant that I should write up my own horarium and stick with it.

If that doesn't work, I'm sure your neighbors would love for you to do housework for them. Or you could write my dissertation for me. Or if you're not up to that, how about doing some transcription work? I've got about 800 pages over here that need cleaning up, and eight interviews still un-transcribed. ;) 

I am the worst at making rules for myself. I never *ever* keep them. However, I like and have done a bit of both editing and transcription - if you're serious? :)

You could always write a short story about anything.

I feel like Phatmass already takes all of that creative juice :P

However, I like and have done a bit of both editing and transcription - if you're serious? :)

I am serious. If you're serious, PM me. I tried to get a grant to pay for professional clean-up and transcription, but it didn't come through. I really don't have the time to do it myself, and I need clean transcripts to work with.

My thread has already scored me a dinner in the wonderful company of @beatitude. I didn't really have to do anything to make it happen, so no edification brownie points for me, but it certainly passed time in a most congenial manner :)

Hope you find something to enjoy.  London can be a hassle to get around!

That's very charitable! I actually really don't like it since I moved away!

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm bored, I choose a random country (like by pointing my fingers on a world map, eyes closed), and then I read everything that I can find about this country. 

Or I test new cooking recipes. Do you know koulibiak ? It's a kind of brioche, with inside a mix of salmon, spinach, eggs, rice, and mushrooms. it's from Russia. It tooks at least 3 hours to do, 3 hours to clean up the kitchen after it, and 3 days to eat. We have an amazing recipe on my family, if you're interested :) 

Afficher l'image d'origine

(from the outside)

the inside : 

57 minutes ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

When I'm bored, I choose a random country (like by pointing my fingers on a world map, eyes closed), and then I read everything that I can find about this country. 

Or I test new cooking recipes. Do you know koulibiak ? It's a kind of brioche, with inside a mix of salmon, spinach, eggs, rice, and mushrooms. it's from Russia. It tooks at least 3 hours to do, 3 hours to clean up the kitchen after it, and 3 days to eat. We have an amazing recipe on my family, if you're interested :) 

(from the outside)

the inside : 

That looks so good. Does the design come from a mold or is it crafted with a knife or some other tool?

No, the design you can change it if you want. You make the dough, and then you can use it to add decoration. For exemple, my mother write "christmas" with it. I heard some people in Eastern Europe make it in a fish form. 

You have the normal brioche dough (not really brioche in fact), but inside you have also "pancake batter", to absorb humidity. 

4 hours ago, Charbel said:

I don't think I'm alone when I say this Nada, but I would love a home-cooked meal from you :)

Amen!

Nada, that looks delicious! It's way too fancy for the monastery, but I may prevail upon my dad to make it with me while I am here :hehe: 

You're kind, but what you really want is a home-cooked meal from my mother. But maybe I'm not objective ;) 

Cool ! I'll try to translate the recipe in the week. Does it bother you if in the proportion, I use grams (such as 250 gram of flour) instead of cup and spoon ? I'm never sure when I do the conversion from gram to cup and spoon, etc... 

13 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

You're kind, but what you really want is a home-cooked meal from my mother. But maybe I'm not objective ;) 

Cool ! I'll try to translate the recipe in the week. Does it bother you if in the proportion, I use grams (such as 250 gram of flour) instead of cup and spoon ? I'm never sure when I do the conversion from gram to cup and spoon, etc... 

Grams are fine! It's only those pesky Americans who use cups etc.! I believe it's something to do with pioneer history; since scales and weights didn't travel very well, they switched to 'static' measures that couldn't get messed up! At least, that's what I've heard...

7 hours ago, TheresaThoma said:

What about finding some silly touristy thing to do that you have never done in your town.

Or if you have a smart phone you may try Geocaching? https://www.geocaching.com/play

I don't, but that looks like SO much fun! I would love to do that! Maybe I can get the kids to hide chocolate eggs around the house for me :hehe: 

5 hours ago, marigold said:

It's only those pesky Americans who use cups etc.!

Hey, hey now.

(Cups do smell of elderberries, though. Weight measures are so much more accurate.)