An Old School Catholic Message Board

"My Engagement Rings from God"

DameAgnes

MarysLittleFlower

Interesting article... For myself - personally - I don't like using words like "boyfriend" which just sound so casual... But I think its beautiful when the Saints spoke of Our Lord as "Beloved" or "Spouse". I don't think its just romantic or sentimental but to me it conveys the reality that God receives all the persons love. I also have a book written by a very wonderful holy Dominican priest on the Song of Songs and he says that in tradition its actually about Christ and the soul. Each line means something. Same with St John of the Cross who used that imagery a lot. Anyway for me when I first encountered this imagery I was drawn to it because of the love and closeness to God but scared because I was new to considering giving up marriage. Over time I realised its something very beautiful. I understand not all are drawn to it. Anyways, interesting article, and I thought it was interesting particularly how the Sister spoke of God inviting her into something like that. I agree with her that our worlds corrupted view of sexuality can alter how we see that, but of course the relationship with God is very chaste and intimate in a spiritual way. The worlds view has affected me too as I looked into this imagery, and just knowing what our carnally minded society's reaction would be. 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower