An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chicago Cop Shoots Black Teen 16 Times As He Walks Away

dominicansoul
1 hour ago, Josh said:

I find it really disturbing the department lied about what happened. That's just as a big problem. And people are sick of it. I'm not your boyfriend but I would say screw that department.

people are just as sick of people making these thugs out to be "sweet little innocent victims"  and making law enforcement officers equal to  "racist bigots who murder black people in cold blood."

You know I've never been shot by a cop?  And I'm not even White!  Go figure.

1 minute ago, Lilllabettt said:

The fact that it is now popular to assume that an officer who fires his weapon has hate or murder in his heart only makes the wall of silence stronger.

Exactly.  

22 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

people are just as sick of people making these thugs out to be "sweet little innocent victims"  and making law enforcement officers equal to  "racist bigots who murder black people in cold blood."

Well. Sometimes they are thugs (Michael Brown). Sometimes they are a 12 year old-kid with a toy gun (Tamir Rice) or a customer shopping for goods on sale in a Wallmart store (John Crawford) or a tennis player on his way to the US Open (James Blake).

Edited by Peace

19 minutes ago, Peace said:

Well. Sometimes they are thugs (Michael Brown). Sometimes they are a 12 year old-kid with a toy gun (Tamir Rice) or a customer shopping for goods on sale in a Wallmart store (John Crawford) or a tennis player on his way to the US Open (James Blake).

As the sister of a "thug", I just want to say that a thug deserves to live, like a 12 years old, a customer or a tennis player. 

Edited by NadaTeTurbe

dominicansoul
23 minutes ago, Peace said:

Well, I'm speaking of the thugs.  And not to hurt your feelings, Nada, but a thug deserves what they get because they ask for trouble.  I had a nephew who was a gangster in his youth, and I was just waiting for the day when the authorities called me up to tell me he went out in a blaze of gunfire.  If that would have happened, I wouldn't hold that against the cops.  Thank God he's all grown up and back in the grace of God.

Am I saying there aren't real racists cops out there?  No.  But it isn't the entire police force in our country, and it's unfair how they've all  been made out to be black-killers.

Peace, the rest of these cases though, what does the subjects being black have anything to do with what happened to them?  Tamir pointed what looked like a real gun around.  Crawford had a toy gun as well, and was shot after a very stupid idiot called 9-11 and made it seem like he was loading up to fire on everybody in the store.  Blake was a dead ringer for the guy the cops were after.  I think in every single one of these cases we need to address the police's' use of deadly force, not racism.

Do you honestly believe the rhetoric spewed from groups like "black lives matter" and Al Sharpton??????  I think they have a double standard that sickens the majority of the country.  Thats why when the real cops who do harbor some racism and use it in their roles will get away with it.  These groups have no real solutions but to fight hatred with hatred.

No, they don't deserve it, period. No matter what you did, nobody deserve to be killed. God is the master of life and death, not man. E every life have a value in the eyes of God. "they get because they ask for trouble". And what else ? Prostitutes deserve to be raped because they are prostitutes ? Nobody deserve to be killed. Period. The right to life is the first of all. 

1 hour ago, Lilllabettt said:

The fact that it is now popular to assume that an officer who fires his weapon has hate or murder in his heart only makes the wall of silence stronger.

I have no problem with shooting once or twice just to get him on the ground, since he could have gone on to hurt other people.

But 16 times?  Even when he was on the ground?  And another officer on the scene had to stop him from reloading?  And the lies and cover-ups?  Come on...

Aren't people taught any more that when you lie, you have to invent more lies to cover up that lie, and more to cover up those, and so on until one little fact will cause it to unravel?

And as a Chicago taxpayer, my property taxes go to pay out the civil settlements in these police misconduct cases - 46 million dollars in recent years.  With the bad financial shape the city and state is in, one would think that someone in city government would see that this cannot go on even if the only motivation is as a "pocketbook issue".

Edited by Norseman82

3 minutes ago, Norseman82 said:

I have no problem with shooting once or twice just to get him on the ground, since he could have gone on to hurt other people.

But 16 times?  Even when he was on the ground?  And another officer on the scene had to stop him from reloading?  And the lies and cover-ups?  Come on...

Where is the lie.

dominicansoul
5 minutes ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

No, they don't deserve it, period. No matter what you did, nobody deserve to be killed. God is the master of life and death, not man. E every life have a value in the eyes of God. "they get because they ask for trouble". And what else ? Prostitutes deserve to be raped because they are prostitutes ? Nobody deserve to be killed. Period. The right to life is the first of all. 

So you don't believe in self-defense?  The Church does.  I do too.  Anyone breaks into my home is going to be shot.  That's not an affront against God.  I live with a very sick person in my care and I'm not letting anyone hurt him...

Does anyone here even realize that Chicago cops put their lives on the line and work hard to bring peace between black rival gangs?  You won't hear that on your nightly news...

I used to work in Law Enforcement.  The last case I worked on had to do with a black thug who grabbed the legs of his infant daughter and pounded her repeatedly against the wall.  If my deputies had gotten there in time, they would have shot him dead.  They probably would have been called "racists" for doing so.   Instead, they got there when the life was ebbing out of the baby, one of my deputies gave her mouth to mouth but to no avail, she died shaking in his arms.  That was the last case I worked on, I walked away from it all.  Some of these cops are on EDGE, and in this dark world where things are getting worse, we are probably going to see more cops going off.  Theres something else to focus on, the psychological support these guys need.  not RACISM RACISM RACISM all the beaver dam time...

45 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

Well, I'm speaking of the thugs.  And not to hurt your feelings, Nada, but a thug deserves what they get because they ask for trouble.  I had a nephew who was a gangster in his youth, and I was just waiting for the day when the authorities called me up to tell me he went out in a blaze of gunfire.  If that would have happened, I wouldn't hold that against the cops.  Thank God he's all grown up and back in the grace of God.

Well. Everyone deserves what they get (except for God's Mercy of course). I think in some cases even though you are dealing with bad people, the punishment does not seem to fit the crime. You saw that Eric Garner video right? Sure - that guy had a criminal history, but at the time he was killed, he was just a guy on the street selling smokes. Getting choked to death for that seems a bit unreasonable, don't you think?

Am I saying there aren't real racists cops out there?  No.  But it isn't the entire police force in our country, and it's unfair how they've all  been made out to be black-killers.

I think that there are some people who take criticisms against police to extremes. But more so than that, I think that vast majority of people who criticize the police are early to recognize that most of them are good. To a large extent it is just politics on both sides and trying to control the media, I think. Police and some others seem to want to construe any legitimate criticism against police as a condemnation of all police officers. It is somewhat similar to how any criticism of Israel can be turned into an accusation of antisemitism. I don't think there are too many people out there that are really trying to assert that the entire police force is just a bunch of black-killers (although there are a few at the extremes who seem to assert this). People such as myself believe that there are legitimate issues that need to be addressed and reformed, but if I criticize, that is not an assertion that all police officers are bad. Some people seem to attempt to portray legitimate criticism as an attempt to smear, as a means of shielding themselves from the legitimate criticism.

Peace, the rest of these cases though, what does the subjects being black have anything to do with what happened to them?  Tamir pointed what looked like a real gun around.  Crawford had a toy gun as well, and was shot after a very stupid idiot called 9-11 and made it seem like he was loading up to fire on everybody in the store.  Blake was a dead ringer for the guy the cops were after.  I think in every single one of these cases we need to address the police's' use of deadly force, not racism.

Well. We still live in the United States of America. We have a long history. And we are still dealing with race. It is difficult to say in particular cases whether race was a factor, but I think it would be a bit naive to think that race does not play into these things given our history. I do not think we have reached a point where we can negate race as a potential factor without considering it. If that were a 12 year old white child in a white neighborhood may have the police officer reacted differently? It is tough to say, but I think you know just as well as I do that if you see a young dark-skinned black man and a young white man, that we are more likely to be afraid of the dark-skinned black man than we are of the young white man. Heck, I am African-American and I struggle with guarding against my own internal biases that I have against other black people.

Do you honestly believe the rhetoric spewed from groups like "black lives matter" and Al Sharpton??????  I think they have a double standard that sickens the majority of the country.  Thats why when the real cops who do harbor some racism and use it in their roles will get away with it.  These groups have no real solutions but to fight hatred with hatred.

It would depend on the specific statements that they made. Some of the things they say I might agree with. Some of the things I might disagree with. What specific statements do you have in mind?

I never took the "Black lives matter" statement as a form of hatred. Apparently, many people see it as an assertion that "Only black lives matter" or "Black lives matter and white/police lives do not matter", which is completely ridiculous to me and shows the degree to which some people simply do not understand the concerns of black Americans. The statement is meant more along time lines of "Black lives also matter" or "Black lives matter too."

10 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

Where is the lie.

Yeah. But I don't think it is popular to assume that. I think that is only in the minds of some people, who are overly-defensive to legitimate criticism.

Edited by Peace

dominicansoul

Eric Garner was killed over a stupid law by an overuse of force, not by racism.  I honestly think that cop should not have been acquitted... 

16 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

So you don't believe in self-defense?  The Church does.  I do too.  Anyone breaks into my home is going to be shot.  That's not an affront against God.  I live with a very sick person in my care and I'm not letting anyone hurt him...

Does anyone here even realize that Chicago cops put their lives on the line and work hard to bring peace between black rival gangs?  You won't hear that on your nightly news...

I used to work in Law Enforcement.  The last case I worked on had to do with a black thug who grabbed the legs of his infant daughter and pounded her repeatedly against the wall.  If my deputies had gotten there in time, they would have shot him dead.  They probably would have been called "racists" for doing so.   Instead, they got there when the life was ebbing out of the baby, one of my deputies gave her mouth to mouth but to no avail, she died shaking in his arms.  That was the last case I worked on, I walked away from it all.  Some of these cops are on EDGE, and in this dark world where things are getting worse, we are probably going to see more cops going off.  Theres something else to focus on, the psychological support these guys need.  not RACISM RACISM RACISM all the beaver dam time...

What people don't get is that being a cop in an American city can be more horrific than soldiering in a city in Afghanistan or Iraq. 

People understand when soldiers have PTSD and have break downs. They understand that we asked them to do a difficult job most people would last 2 seconds in and they broke under the pressure. (That understanding does not mean they are not held accountable for the consequences.)

The way the police are treated in this country reminds me of how we treated Vietnam Veterans. It's disgusting.

If folks watch video of an officer, working in the current climate of hyper scrutiny, knowing he is on video, shoot someone 16 times and even go to reload --- and they don't wonder even a little bit that maybe something has happened to him --  he must just be an evil racist. Well. Maybe there is something wrong with THOSE FOLKS. 

Edited by Lilllabettt

5 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

Where is the lie.

Well for one thing, the fact that the FOP (police union) spokesman stated that McDonald lunged at the police when the video clearly shows he didn't.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-85143696/

That right there shows that lying was done.

And then there is the fact that it took over a year to bring charges.  And this is not a case of the video being "suddenly discovered"; when the City Council approved a 5.5 million dollar settlement in April of this year, aldermen were told that there was a video and that the settlement should be approved because it was bad for the officer.

Just now, Norseman82 said:

Let me be clearer:  The fact that it is now popular to assume that an officer who fires his weapon has hate or murder in his heart only makes the wall of silence stronger.

Where is the lie in that statement?

I think it's sad we're even having this conversation. It's like people can't get past needing someone to blame. "Who's at fault? The blacks or the cops?" Sheesh.

I'm not saying any of you is taking that tack. But the media coverage and the public discussion surrounding this issue has polarized into this kind of thinking, IMO. It's like we can't understand that there may be fault on both sides, and that maybe there isn't fault on either side, that this is the natural consequence of the way our society and organizations run, and no one individual can be wholly blamed in any case. All that matters to us is deciding whom we should be against.

1 hour ago, Lilllabettt said:

Let me be clearer:  The fact that it is now popular to assume that an officer who fires his weapon has hate or murder in his heart only makes the wall of silence stronger.

Where is the lie in that statement?

Lillabettt,

LEOs may be on the defensive over crying "racism" and "brutality" over every little thing, and my first reaction to a cop shooting someone with what turns out to be a toy gun or a lighter shaped like a gun is normally "how can you be such an idiot to brandish such an item in public in the first place".

But sixteen times?  And reloading for more?  And with the advent of dashboard cams, isn't it common sense to say to one's self "If I lie I will get caught eventually"?