An Old School Catholic Message Board

useful skills for religious life

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I'm wondering if arts and crafts skills are useful for religious life especially more contemplative communities. Do most of them do something like this to support themselves or as an apostolate? Things like embroidering vestments, painting or making statues, etc. I draw / paint and knit and I am starting to learn embroidery and I'm wondering if God calls me to religious life would this continue to be something useful? Like ..is it a good skill to have there? I also thought of skills like cooking or music. I sing in a choir but my cooking is pretty average :) im just wondering what is potentially useful from what i do if i were a religious. (If I'd be asked to do it there).  Thanks!

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

PhuturePriest

Any skill aside from being ridiculously good at Call of Duty will serve any community you are with. The more practical skills the sisters have, the fewer people they need to consult or hire. Communications, computer technology, production skills, carpentry, knitting, etc. All of it is valuable for communities to have in-house.

When I was in contact with a community, they seemed pleased to know that I was learning to knit.  They sold their own wool and also knitted. 

sr.christinaosf

Our community used to have a vestment department in which our Sisters made priests' vestments which were sent all over, but especially here in the ND/MN area.

You mentioned embroidery.  I learned that craft as a novice and now continue doing dish towels for sale in our gift case to benefit St. Anne's activity department.

It's interesting how one's past skills/occupations can get utilized in interesting ways, regardless of what they might be.

Of course those things would be useful! Why wouldnt they be? Some communities sew and sell in order to support their community! 

On the other hand...try being a Security Officer and ask that question! What do I have to offer a contemplative community..when I have no other skill or talent, except customer service?? Answering the monastery phone??.... Taking the monastery dog on routine roves around the grounds, making sure the perimeter walls, gate and grounds are safe from possible security breeches???  Lol

Seriously though...I have asked that question myself since I ..can't paint, can't sing, can't sew, can't knit/Crochet not the greatest cook..can't play a musical instrument..not really tech/keyboard savvy either. That's not to say...I cant learn to do any of these. But entering into a community with a useful God given talent..has me scratching my head!!

Spem in alium
11 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

the skill to stay completely sane in a house filled with women...

This is a highly recommended one to have. ;) 

Yes, they are. A contemplative community not too far away from me makes their own candles - and perhaps also altar breads and vestments, too. But even having some crafty skills you can develop on your own is also good. It's very important to have a hobby or a way of relaxing. 

Discerning with a monastic community, I was asked to take a class in hand bookbinding!  Perhaps learning the external and internal details of assembly--how to hold together the pages of a book--would teach something about holding together the pages of one's life!  What an extremely helpful skill!

Mary Catherine

I am discerning with a semi-contemplative community, and I am busy studying Latin and embroidery.

I know a little bit cooking as well, but I still yet to learn how to drive. People in my country do not drive that much.

11 hours ago, nikita92 said:

Of course those things would be useful! Why wouldnt they be? Some communities sew and sell in order to support their community! 

On the other hand...try being a Security Officer and ask that question! What do I have to offer a contemplative community..when I have no other skill or talent, except customer service?? Answering the monastery phone??.... Taking the monastery dog on routine roves around the grounds, making sure the perimeter walls, gate and grounds are safe from possible security breeches???  Lol

Seriously though...I have asked that question myself since I ..can't paint, can't sing, can't sew, can't knit/Crochet not the greatest cook..can't play a musical instrument..not really tech/keyboard savvy either. That's not to say...I cant learn to do any of these. But entering into a community with a useful God given talent..has me scratching my head!!

You'll know how to handle people and diffuse tension. Priceless.

13 hours ago, PhuturePriest said:

Any skill aside from being ridiculously good at Call of Duty will serve any community you are with. The more practical skills the sisters have, the fewer people they need to consult or hire. Communications, computer technology, production skills, carpentry, knitting, etc. All of it is valuable for communities to have in-house.

unless when you become a daughter of St Paul and use it as a way to evangelise the gamer world....never say never ;)

Music skills seem to always peak the interest of religious communities, especially piano, organ, and singing.  I would also add cooking and sewing.  The postulant mistress of the community I'm discerning with joked that she prays every year that God will send a plumber to the community :)

I keep typing out, erasing and retyping a bit longer more serious answer to this thread.    A lot of it could be summed up in going to give the life a try if and when possible.  You dont know until you try and things you thought might be easy arent and things you thought might be difficult arent.  Learning how to walk, talk and do everything their way is a cultural adjustment, like going to another country.  Someone might be a talented artist but if they dont have humility and cant take correction then thats not good. 

For example something I thought would be difficult but wasnt was getting up early  and doing all that prayer, Mass etc BEFORE breakfast and even coffee!  What was harder on me were things like the time I was using too much water in the kitchen for something and the novice mistress firmly told me "we dont use that much water here."  That stung my pride!  Outwardly I was like oops ok and shut it off but inside I really felt it sting.  And if I were to follow the little way of St Therese what would she advise me to do in that situation?  Thank God for what happened and ask God to bless Sister for making me suffer!  That last bit about praying for, and asking God to bless those who cause you to suffer is really really hard but will probably help more in the convent then all the embroidery in the world!

Edited by vee
typo