An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discerning with a new community

Mary Catherine

Sponsa-Christi
26 minutes ago, Graciela said:

All in all, I feel very wary about some of the new communities that are being founded.  With so many communities in existence already, I would be very alert for the potential signs listed above before considering a new community.

As a canon lawyer, I feel like I do have some insight as to all the different ways a new community could go wrong, and so I would echo all the cautions and calls for prudence which have already been brought up in this thread.

Still, although I have never been a member of a new community, I am a consecrated virgin, so I have some experience pioneering a "new" form of consecrated life. When I was discerning and newly-consecrated, I had a lot of people ask me why I couldn't have just entered an established community. But for me, it wasn't a matter of not being able to find a community I liked, but rather that I felt a very strong positive call to the vocation of consecrated virginity.

So even while it's important to be very careful and discerning when considering a new community, we should keep in mind that there are times when the Holy Spirit really is inspiring a new charism in the life of the Church.

I do get the concern about new communities with very similar charisms to another's.  I would note, however, that globalization has its limits.  Travel overseas or across the country can be a large obstacle.  One might say that there are many communities, sure, but many are not widespread.  And indeed, the lady who started the thread might only find a bare handful of female communities similar to hers in the world (i.e. traditional liturgy + Benedictine spirituality) and I'm sure the same is true of other kinds of vocations.

sr.christinaosf

It is a beautiful thing how each of us is different and unique.  I am struck by this when I see two other sisters (in newer communities) who are from my hometown.  

While one person likes the newness and challenges posed by a 'new community,' others of us find our place in older, more established congregations.  This thread reminded me of a poem our Sister Patricia wrote, entitled "Psalm of God's Providence.'  I actually shared it in a recent blog post.  Our Congregation has been around since 1241 and it chronicles our history with an 'attitude of gratitude.'  

Regardless of 'new' or 'old' there are going to be struggles and our attitude and faithfulness are crucial.