An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent troubles...

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

Every year I find it so hard, wanting to observe Advent when society around us jumps into Christmas prematurely.  Carolers come, Christmas music starts playing, before we're far into the first week of Advent. Then, too, there's all the Christmas treats during this season that has a bit of a penitential tone.

If anyone could offer suggestions for things you find helpful in observing this season of joyful waiting, amidst a culture that cannot, or will not, wait, I would appreciate them.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, sr.christinaosf said:

Every year I find it so hard, wanting to observe Advent when society around us jumps into Christmas prematurely.  Carolers come, Christmas music starts playing, before we're far into the first week of Advent. Then, too, there's all the Christmas treats during this season that has a bit of a penitential tone.

If anyone could offer suggestions for things you find helpful in observing this season of joyful waiting, amidst a culture that cannot, or will not, wait, I would appreciate them.  Thanks.

Well, I would say join a monastery, but... umm... erm... ;) 

MarysLittleFlower

I know what you mean Sr Christina.. Going around the city it seems its Christmas already. At home we are avoiding a lot of decorations till later and we have an Advent wreath. Ideas I had were doing some sort of fasting / penance (I know there's no obligation to fast during Advent, but the Eastern rites do and maybe some orders), and doing Advent meditations every day. Mine would be from a book by St Alphonsus Liguori because he wrote meditations for every day of Advent. 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower