An Old School Catholic Message Board

Secret Santa

veritasluxmea

veritasluxmea

I need a Secret Santa gift idea for a young adult that's in the price range of 10-15 dollars. No food, drinks, or gift cards, and it's not a white elephant exchange, so something cute and useful. I've looked all over the internet (ok, the first page of google) for ideas but didn't find anything that would be amesome for a college student. Monogrammed stoppers, a book, stationary, and boring adult things like that aren't interesting. 

I was thinking a burt's bees mini pedi kit might be nice for a girl, any ideas for a boy? 

Hey, maybe we should do a phatmass secret santa. 

Edited by veritasluxmea

Sonic screwdriver pen light.  http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/df8c/ 

Candy cane-shaped portable phone charger:  http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/iotj/

Power cube (i.e. cubic power strip):  http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/hsmk/

USB/car-cigarette-lighter-powered heated travel mug:  http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1120/

You could easily find different designs on different sites for similar products.  Amazon, ebay, Etsy, etc.  I like Etsy for getting crafted stuff you can often get hand-made to order.

Other ideas:

Fun pillowcases.  You can find stuff with nice art on it.  For variety here's a monogrammed pillowcase you can get made to order.

Crocheted hats, scarves, mittens, slippers.  Those are all super comfy.  I especially like the idea of crocheted slippers.  They can provoke envy.

Fun striped socks or even those toe socks.

Bluetooth earpieces.

Laser pointers.

These are just for starters.  I think you'll find something. ;)

And now I suddenly want some of these.  Bleh.

1 hour ago, veritasluxmea said:

Sounds cool.  :)

13 hours ago, veritasluxmea said:

I'd do that. I think it'd be a great way to build community.

2 hours ago, elizabeth09 said:

I do like the idea of a secret santa.  But do we get the presents to the person without asking them?

We could start a thread (or use this one) to state what everyone's interests/wishes are. Then if you get assigned that person, you could just send something you think they'd like, based on their post.

Exchanging addresses is harder. I think it'd have to go through a designated Secret Santa Phatmass Coordinator so that they wouldn't have to be posted publicly, and so Secret Santas wouldn't have to reveal themselves to one another in PM.

Speaking of Phatmass Coordinators: Where's @Lil Red? I really want a saint and virtue for this year!

45 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

We could start a thread (or use this one) to state what everyone's interests/wishes are. Then if you get assigned that person, you could just send something you think they'd like, based on their post.

Exchanging addresses is harder. I think it'd have to go through a designated Secret Santa Phatmass Coordinator so that they wouldn't have to be posted publicly, and so Secret Santas wouldn't have to reveal themselves to one another in PM.

Speaking of Phatmass Coordinators: Where's @Lil Red? I really want a saint and virtue for this year!

Are we going to use our profile names then?

I don`t know

veritasluxmea
1 hour ago, elizabeth09 said:

Are we going to use our profile names then?

I don`t know

You would PM your (real) name and address to the Secret Santa Coordinator. The coordinator can "check out" the person and if they're new, unknown, or not safe they can be told a match couldn't be found. The coordinator would pair two people together and give them the address via PM, usually matching people up with out of state people so the distance provides some safety. You wouldn't know any more information than necessary, unless you're the coordinator, then you know everything. I've mailed someone on this forum before and it was fine, but of course if it makes you uncomfortable, don't sign up. 

1 hour ago, Lil Red said:

I'm not doing saints this year. I'm just not up for it. 

:( But okay. I understand, Lil Red. I hope everything's well with you!

Does anyone else want to coordinate the virtues and saints drawing? Any volunteers for the Secret Santa coordination?

1 hour ago, veritasluxmea said:

You would PM your (real) name and address to the Secret Santa Coordinator. The coordinator can "check out" the person and if they're new, unknown, or not safe they can be told a match couldn't be found. The coordinator would pair two people together and give them the address via PM, usually matching people up with out of state people so the distance provides some safety. You wouldn't know any more information than necessary, unless you're the coordinator, then you know everything. I've mailed someone on this forum before and it was fine, but of course if it makes you uncomfortable, don't sign up. 

Thanks.