An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayers for a Phatmasser

Jennifer

I am sure that we are all thinking of  Srictlyinkblot who is entering the Monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary at Summit on 8th.December. She has been very busy  preparing for her journey across the Atlantic but had time to participate in a radio broadcast in which she spoke of her vocation..........there was so much joy in her voice at this time.

Strictly, our prayers are for you and all your family  and we will look forward to following your discernment through the Summit Blog.

God Bless you.

Strictlyinkblot

Thank you. I'm almost ready but I keep feeling like there's more things I need to get. At this rate I'll have to buy a second suitcase.

God Bless

IgnatiusofLoyola
12 hours ago, Jennifer said:

I am sure that we are all thinking of  Srictlyinkblot who is entering the Monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary at Summit on 8th.December. She has been very busy  preparing for her journey across the Atlantic but had time to participate in a radio broadcast in which she spoke of her vocation..........there was so much joy in her voice at this time.

Strictly, our prayers are for you and all your family  and we will look forward to following your discernment through the Summit Blog.

God Bless you.

For those of us who are into little details when we pray, Strictlyinkblot is actually entering as a postulant on the evening of December 7. (She told us this in an Oct 12 post.) This way she can take part in the clothing ceremony for current postulant Sister Danielle on December 8--a nifty way for both women to take these important (and joyous!) steps in their vocation on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception! As an added bonus, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception is the special feast day for Sister Mary Magdalene of the Community, who took her solemn vows in January 2015. With celebrations for three Sisters AND the Virgin Mary, something tells me that December 8 will be a be a "super-duper feast day" for this Community ("Super-duper feast day" is an ancient theological term that has been traced back to the very early Church. ;))

If you want to know the special feast days of each of the Summit Dominican Sisters so you can pray for them, I strongly recommend buying a 2016 Summit Dominican calendar. (The calendar also contains reminders of both U.S. and major Canadian feast days, as well as lovely photos of the Community and monastery for each month.)  I just checked the Summit Dominican Cloister Shoppe Web page and the calendar is still available for purchase.  http://summitdominicans.3dcartstores.com/  All proceeds from the sale of the calendar go to the Community's Capital Campaign to build a much-needed new wing for the monastery. (Thankfully there are still a couple of beds left in the Novitiate so Strictlyinkblot won't have to sleep on the floor. But she's getting one of the few available cells left in the Monastery!)

Note for all potential shoppers: The online Cloister Shoppe closes December 17 so the Sisters can prepare for Christmas, so visit the Web page (link shown above) as soon as you can. 

1 hour ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

("Super-duper feast day" is an ancient theological term that has been traced back to the very early Church. ;))

:lol3:

That's so exciting...prayers for you.

This community seems to be growing so much. I only read a little about their new wing but couldn't find anything about dormitory space.Regardless, a happy day for this community and for you Strictlyinkblot!

IgnatiusofLoyola

Sister Mary Catharine would be the best one to answer this, but I'll chime in and she can correct me later if I have anything wrong.

Right now, many of the rooms that the Summit Dominicans currently use for workrooms and office space used to be cells for the Sisters. Among other things, the lower level of the new wing for which the Sisters are raising funds will contain workrooms, so that, as vocations to the Community continue to grow, spaces that are now being used for workrooms and offices can be converted back to their original intended use as cells.

In the Summit Dominican monastery, the novitiate is separate from the cells for the professed Sisters, although (as I understand it--not having seen the monastery in person), the novitiate is very close to the cells for the professed Sisters, with basically just wall(s) and door(s) separating them. At Summit, Sisters who are within a year of taking final/solemn vows move out of the novitiate and into the larger community of professed sisters. To the best of my knowledge there are three Sisters in temporary vows living with the larger Community, and this has left some room for new Sisters in the novitiate, which right now houses a postulant and a novice, and Sister Mary Catharine (I think). Strictlyinkblot will be joining them in a few days, and although I have no details, I wouldn't be surprised if more postulants join in 2016.

Another important reason for the new wing is that the Summit Dominican's monastery currently only has one guest room for aspirants coming to make a short visit or a longer live-in. As a result, some women who are interested in the Community have to wait before they can come to visit in person or come for a live-in. The new wing will have additional guest rooms both for aspirants, and for others, such as families of the Sisters.

Even though I have no exact numbers or details, I hope this answers your questions. The Summit Dominicans have a gorgeous large chapel, but the monastery itself isn't as large as the size of the chapel would suggest.

If I have made any errors, Sister Mary Catharine will correct me.

Strictlyinkblot

I think you've got it right Iggy. I can't believe I'm leaving for Summit the day after tomorrow. I'm nervous but happy. Its a weird combination.