An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you believe in a literal Adam and Eve and a perfect world with no death prior to the alleged fall?

Just now, Era Might said:

I understand. Just to be clear, I don't believe in the church and am not trying to reconcile it with scientific knowledge. But I'm not referring to a "theory" but to the entire scientific worldview, which is an entirely different worldview than pre-scientific worldviews that used mythology to create meaning.

I thought you came back?

MarysLittleFlower

If evolution supports polygenism, then somehow there's a mistake in interpreting or understanding evidence. Especially as there's the mitochondrial evidence against polygenism. And with evolution all that we can really directly observe is selection within species.. so much of it is forming conclusions based on evidence, rather than direct observation.

It doesn't make anyone "unintelligent" or ignorant to say that, because science is meant to be questioned, that's how it moves forward.

When we evaluate evidence we can make mistakes, it happens quite a bit in science, nothing new there:)

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

19 minutes ago, Josh said:

Physicist have theories dealing with quantum physics and how time works. In their theories Adam and Eve could of lived in a perfect world then at the time of the fall a back history was laid out as they slipped from the Heaven reality to the fallen reality we find ourselves in now. The big bang only happens when observers trace it back through consciousness. So evolution does happen but time doesn't flow from the big bang until now. The arrow of time is an allusion. Nothing exist until it's measured/observed. Some believers have a problem with this because they think it makes God appear deceptive.

You're a Diest? What is your beliefs on Christ?

No not a Deist, I'm a materialist, but am open to the possibility of some cosmic consciousness, but not in religions as such, I think they're just human attempts to create meaning. I see Christ as I see Buddha, etc.

KnightofChrist
11 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yeah it's really interesting stuff. You're familiar with the double slit experiment?

A little but not much. I remember someone using similar experiments, similar in that they were splinting light waves to show there are multiple dimensions. Interesting anyway.

Edited by KnightofChrist

MarysLittleFlower

for example I think polygenism is a mistake for sure

5 minutes ago, Era Might said:

I understand. Just to be clear, I don't believe in the church and am not trying to reconcile it with scientific knowledge. But I'm not referring to a "theory" but to the entire scientific worldview, which is an entirely different worldview than pre-scientific worldviews that used mythology to create meaning.

I don't see Scripture as mythology though :) I also think that the scientific worldview should really be based on accurate philosophy, but often it's based on the 'enlightenment' philosophers who missed quite a few points to say the least. Philosophy is important too and serves as a foundation of science. It's not evidence alone..

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

I thought you came back?

Nah, I realized I don't believe. I love religion as a search into man's depths, but I don't believe in religion literally as revelation from a God.

Just now, MarysLittleFlower said:

So I think the philosophy should be examined first as we look at science

Ok, but philosophy strictly speaking questions everything, it does not curtain off doubt based on religious doctrine.

KnightofChrist
6 minutes ago, Josh said:

Mary's Little Flower do you think God is a magician with a wand?

What has she stated that would cause you to ask her that?

KnightofChrist
1 minute ago, Josh said:

She doesn't believe in evolution.

So, that doesn't believe she believes in magic. Please Josh avoid the tactics and talking points of militant atheists.

4 minutes ago, marigold said:

Yes.

So what's your views on dinosaurs dying before humans came into the picture and how they can trace forms of cancer back to dinosaurs?

Just now, Josh said:

So what's your views on dinosaurs dying before humans came into the picture and how they can trace forms of cancer back to dinosaurs?

I don't know.