An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Novitiate" film in production

Nunsuch

I will look forward to seeing this film.  It is set in the 1960's, so I suspect that it will not necessarily reflect current novitiate trends.

Oh this will be interesting! I have to admit I'm worried about this one.  I don't know how much I trust secular media to depict a nun questioning her faith... also this sentence " “Novitiate” marks the feature directorial debut of Margaret Betts, who wrote the script in order to explore a story about the ways in which women love. "

I really hope it doesn't turn into a story about a nun falling in love with a priest...

I would like to know if the filmmakers have any sisters as technical advisers. Ideally, they will have several. I am nervous, as I already said, but would love to be able to see this and really like it. Having served as a consultant on a couple of documentaries, I appreciate it when filmmakers know what they do NOT know and seek assistance.

2 hours ago, katherineH said:

Oh this will be interesting! I have to admit I'm worried about this one.  I don't know how much I trust secular media to depict a nun questioning her faith... also this sentence " “Novitiate” marks the feature directorial debut of Margaret Betts, who wrote the script in order to explore a story about the ways in which women love. "

I really hope it doesn't turn into a story about a nun falling in love with a priest...

Well, I'd be tempted to think they could turn it into nuns falling in love with each other. Hopefully not, but this doesn't make me hopeful. 

I too, am skeptical.  I think a better portrayal of a novitiate would be the scenes in the Teresa of the Andes miniseries.  One can see her highs and lows, her love of her family and her family's love for her and her struggles with that.  One can see her struggles with the other sisters, and most of all her deep love of Jesus.  That love of Christ above all is something Im very skeptical that secular movies would care about or capture. 

2 hours ago, truthfinder said:

Well, I'd be tempted to think they could turn it into nuns falling in love with each other. Hopefully not, but this doesn't make me hopeful. 

oh goodness, yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they spun it in that direction either. It seems like most of the entertainment's world's interest in in religious life is fueled with a desire for sensationalism or is just plain voyeurism.  I saw The Letters about Mother Teresa last night and thought it was so well done! A good precedent for future movies about religious...

I'm rather reminded of the film In This House of Brede. Hopefully they will stuck along that train of thought if they must approach the idea of relationships in the convent- although I would much rather they left it alone! 

Radical Grace is a documentary; many of my friends have seen it, but I have not yet. This one (Novitiate) is not. As for Brede, the book is SO much better, though I do own the film. I think this is likely to be more like the Australian mini-series, Brides of Christ, which actually was quite good, and is a favorite of a number of  my sister-friends. 

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎22‎:‎48‎:‎30, Nunsuch said:

Radical Grace is a documentary; many of my friends have seen it, but I have not yet. This one (Novitiate) is not. As for Brede, the book is SO much better, though I do own the film. I think this is likely to be more like the Australian mini-series, Brides of Christ, which actually was quite good, and is a favorite of a number of  my sister-friends. 

I've always intended to buy the Brede book but seem to forget every payday! I personally am secretly hoping for another season of The Sisterhood, anyone agree?

1 hour ago, orapronobis said:

I've always intended to buy the Brede book but seem to forget every payday!

Do yourself a favour and get it. It's worth it just for the beauty and precision of the writing, but over the years I've found myself actually taking spiritual advice from it as well! Brede Abbey is one of those fictional places that will always be real to me (along with Hogwarts and the world of Tom's Midnight Garden, ahem...).