An Old School Catholic Message Board

discerning priesthood

chrysostom

PhuturePriest

One book that has been repeatedly recommended to me is The Diary of a Country Priest. Also, you obviously can't go wrong with The Cure D'Ars, patron of parish priests.

I finally talked to my parish priest about this community, and funnily enough he actually knows them really really well.  He urged me to visit this summer and don't delay, and said that he would send the superior a line to let him know I'm writing.  Ugh, now I have no excuses... :P

Credo in Deum

Another book I would recommend is: "The Priest: The Man of God" by St. Joseph Cafasso who was St. John Basco's spiritual director. ;)

On 12/12/2015, 7:11:59, chrysostom said:

I finally talked to my parish priest about this community, and funnily enough he actually knows them really really well.  He urged me to visit this summer and don't delay, and said that he would send the superior a line to let him know I'm writing.  Ugh, now I have no excuses... :P

Writing the first letter is hard but it definitely gets easier after that!.

I also second the idea of checking out the Ignatian Spirituality. It is very practical and helpful, it focuses a good bit on discernments of spirits and being aware of how the Holy Spirit is working and moving in your life.

• 1 year later...

Update: I'm all set to visit them for the first time at the beginning of next year. Utterly excited.

If you're interested in carrying out a vocation as a choir monk, then I would highly recommend reading anything by Michael Casey ocso. He's pretty frank about community life but also utterly knowledgable on the initial call and the suitability of the candidate in their orientation towards the call. 'Strangers to the City' is a nice one to start with but there are others that follow beautifully. Anyone interested in Trappist or Benedictine life should give his writings a go, as should anyone discerning any call! It has such practical and spiritual advice.

I also graduate next spring and am probably in a similar RL dilemma but perhaps just half a step further along (I've visited!). If you want to PM, fell free. 

Just a thought, but I've been wondering where Phuture Priest [Miles, I think his name is] has wandered off to.  I remember that when I joined Phatmass he was about 15, and quite serious in pursuing his vocation, and later he mentioned seminary...but it's been a long time, and he used to be a prolific poster.  Anyone know anything?

4 hours ago, Lou said:

If you're interested in carrying out a vocation as a choir monk, then I would highly recommend reading anything by Michael Casey ocso. He's pretty frank about community life but also utterly knowledgable on the initial call and the suitability of the candidate in their orientation towards the call. 'Strangers to the City' is a nice one to start with but there are others that follow beautifully. Anyone interested in Trappist or Benedictine life should give his writings a go, as should anyone discerning any call! It has such practical and spiritual advice.

I also graduate next spring and am probably in a similar RL dilemma but perhaps just half a step further along (I've visited!). If you want to PM, fell free. 

Thanks! I'll look him up. I'll PM you later.

1 hour ago, Antigonos said:

Just a thought, but I've been wondering where Phuture Priest [Miles, I think his name is] has wandered off to.  I remember that when I joined Phatmass he was about 15, and quite serious in pursuing his vocation, and later he mentioned seminary...but it's been a long time, and he used to be a prolific poster.  Anyone know anything?

He's in seminary! He still posts in Open Mic.

Edited by chrysostom

Thanks!  Glad to hear he's persevering.  I don't go to Open Mic or Debate Table, after one of the threads was personally very offensive to me and I wasn't sure I could make a civil comment in regards to it.

Edited by Antigonos

• 1 year later...

Update: a couple days from now, I'm visiting them for the second time. Very very excited! Please pray for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: second visit done, it was absolutely wonderful. After I sort out my affairs - which may take upwards of a year - I'm invited (and agreed!) to spend three months with them, which would precede a formal application. So please pray for me to persevere and to accomplish, with God's help, my remaining tasks in the secular world. :)